Areole grafting?

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Loph

Areole grafting?

Post by Loph »

I am hoping to try some areole grafting with a couple species but am having a little bit of a hard time finding info on it. i would love to see photos and such especially of how the tissues look. i am wanting to try it first with Astrophytum asterias as i just chopped one to graft and it failed. so instead of rooting it i would like to chop it up even more and try out this method.

once i get the hang of it i would like to do some lophophora, and crested grafts.

any info around?

thanks for any help :)
peterb

Post by peterb »

hey loph- found this article from the magazine Cultivar:

http://www.lapshin.org/cultivar/N12/articl2e.htm

it's very informative.

peterb
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Loph

Post by Loph »

thanks for the links, i foudn that one and one other very bad one. the one from this site is for seedlings, not areoles. some of my many questions are does teh scion need to be activly growing. seen as an areole more or less stops growing is it ok to do it anytime? or only when in veg mode?

are there any photos of what the tissue of an areole looks like? i dont want ot cut and play too much.

also some of my cacti are large, fo rtheir specie, and the areols are sort of flat. my lophophora for example. i want to use the ones that are close to bottom and totally finished flower/fruiting but they are little more than a hump. any thoughts? it will be quite flat, is that enough tissue to make the graft?
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi Loph- From the artice I linked to:

"Meristematic tissues of young areoles are more able to form new plants than old ones. Nevertheless, even very old areoles of some species can give not only spines but also lateral shoots and flowers. Unfortunately, detailed information concerning the activity of growing points of areole is unavailable yet. Only gradual accumulation of data will allow judging of it within different genera and species of cacti. To wake up meristems in areoles it is necessary to give them an impulse (usually it means to behead the cactus) which makes for active inflow of nutritive materials."

With Lophophora, it appears to me to be the case that only the very young areoles near the apex of the plant are active. To activate older ones one has to remove the apex. You could experiment with a couple of older areoles just to see.

Flat is good. If your stock is pumping you don't need very much tissue from the scion at all. Miles Anderson successfully grafts 2 day old seedlings of Ariocarpus, for example.

peterb
Loph

Post by Loph »

hmm i see. well its good that they don't need to be big. so i assume follow the same procedure as grafting seedlings? sounds straightforward (sounds anyway). i am a little disappointed to hear they ened to be active. i don't want to risk loosing fruits. i will try a couple old ones.

my thinking is this. lophophora often pups from the base, so perhaps they will be more active. others that tent to pup from higher up may not be as active. thats my theory anyway, hoping. i will post any successes.
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

Hey Loph,it's been a while but did you ever have
any luck with Areole grafting?I'm thinking of giving it a try and wanted to pick your brain a bit :D
Loph

Post by Loph »

yes, it has been more or less very successful! i am about to try some crest areoles and see how they go! i will post pics as i go along :)

from my little amount of playing, i have personally found that matching the stock and scion fairly close is a good idea. i graft M. geometrizans forms to regular M. geometrizans stocks and have 100% success, but the same scion type to a different stock (like pedro or stenocereus) had maybe 60ish %. Just an observation, lots of variables.....who knows?
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

this sounds like an excellent way to rapidly build up stocks of rare forms of cacti, eg. crests, monstrose forms and new cultivars. since such a small part of the parent plant is used, many new plants can be created from one initial stock plant.
yes, i would be interested to see some crest areole grafting. i plan to get into grafting next spring, and this seems an interesting and productive technnique, so soon enough i may have my own pics to post :P
Loph

Post by Loph »

i have gotten some to work, but all the crests i have failed :(
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

here is my one and only try so far,6 weeks after grafting.I used F.glaucescens f. inermis
it sat and did nothing for 5 weeks and this last week it has really taken off.kinda blurred pic
Bob
stanislas

Post by stanislas »

Loph wrote:i have gotten some to work, but all the crests i have failed :(
That's a pity. It would be very interesting to see if a cristate areole grows as crest or rather reverses back into normal growth. If it's the latter, then chemical or mechanical alteration of the apex is a plausible explanation of the phenomenon, as it isn't transferred to the areole offspring. If, however, the scion grows as crest... then it's a good argument for a mutation occurred once in the genetic material of the apex, leading to this growth form.
Although it doesn't have to be as black and white as I here described. It also can be a combination of a mutation and some environmental condition.
But I cannot imagine that this haven't been tried before (crest areole grafting) or that no one ever tried to grow cells from a cristate in a petri dish and see what growth will eventually appear. But maybe it hasn't been done... Anyone having info about this?
Loph

Post by Loph »

i have gotten some stuff to work well, have tried any more crests though.

you could try some tissue cultures with crest and see where that takes you. people do grow cacti with tissue culture but i have had very poor luck (still new to it).

cactus but, how are yours doing?
Arzberger

Post by Arzberger »

Hello,

I made an areole grafting of Mammillaria sphaerica. It starts to grow after one year!!

Here the pic:

Greetings
Alex
Hanazono

Tubercle grafting

Post by Hanazono »

I have gotten successfull result of tubercle grafting with several Mammillaria. The attached photo is luethyi. This plant has been grown a flowring size.