Chamaelobivia Rose hybrid Cham., X Lobvia

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
NM

Chamaelobivia Rose hybrid Cham., X Lobvia

Post by NM »

I bought a Walmart hybrid today. (Above named) I almost never buy store cactus because I grow outdoors only. This one said from mountains in S. America. Is this a cold hybrid hardy cactus? I will probably put it in a pot.
Living at the extreme limit of the Sierra Nevada Mts. where cactus can still grow.
hegar

Re: Chamaelobivia Rose hybrid Cham., X Lobvia

Post by hegar »

I do grow almost all my cacti outdoors in the ground. However, most likely the climate here is a little warmer than where you reside.
The closest plants to a Chamaelobivia x Lobivia that I do have are Echinopsis chamaecereus (syn. Chamaecereus silvestrii). That one does thrive outdoors without any protection. For your climate, it is probably best, to have the plant in a pot and take it indoors during the cold part of the year. If you do have several stems, you could test the cold hardiness of your plant by dividing it and leaving a part out in the ground and taking the other part in a pot indoors during winter. I did something similar to my Echinopsis eyriesii, by leaving a clump unprotected and throwing a tarp over the other (larger clump). The protected one did survive, the other one did not and turned to mush.

Harald