Reliable seed source?

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
Minime8484

Re: Reliable seed source?

Post by Minime8484 »

Wow...since July...I had high hopes since the last time I ordered from them (in 2016), it took just a month.
I guess I'll wait a bit more, but may end up taking the same route that you did.

I've ordered from from most of the European sellers, including from the CR, and although some are slower (2 months max), they still eventually arrive. I agree succseed in particular is extremely reliable, fast, and with great communication.

Thanks for your info!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes I too am having trouble with Malej Jarda = Gerado waiting for seed at the moment. I believe a lot of the Czech cactophiles are in a consortium and supply to the seed firm that actually advertises, therefore the sellers are sometimes waiting for the seed to arrive.

However I did have one seed order delayed a few years ago and eventually found out that they could not fulfill orders or answer emails because the chap whose computer the emails and orders were sent to had gone off to habitat collecting and the others had no access to his computer! I presume the acknowledgements of orders and payments therefore are automatic? I had hoped they had resolved that problem by now though. As Pereskiopsis says they do supply seed and plants that are not usually available elsewhere, at least for quite a few years after discovery, since it's often other dealers raising their seed to make their own mother plants for seed production before they can list it.

Why do the Czech's have the best plants? Simply because unlike us they are great seed raisers and within a couple or so years of receiving rare seed have grown it, seedling grafted it and then flowered and used those plants to pollinate and produce seed by the hundreds. Or for plants used them as mother plants to produce more grafts.
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Thank you Minime I now understand.
Mike M
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

As I said above I had a trouble with MaleJ Jarda = Gerado in the past and Graham Charles put me in touch with a Czech friend of theirs who contacted them and sorted it out. I have contacted him again and he has just emailed me:-

Hi David,
no worries, I will get in touch with them and get back to you. O.K.
Sorry to hear about your troubles, I hope it will be solved ASAP.
Best,
Zlatko

So when I hear what the problem is I will report back here.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I have just received a message from another contact over there that MaleJ Jarda - Gerado are evidently working on the seed orders, but no information why they are not replying to emails, so hopefully we will all get them in due course.:-

"Dear David,

I spoke to Jarda today. He told me he is working on your seeds. I resent him your email.

Best wishes

Petr"
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I also just got this email from another contact who got in touch with them for me:-

Hi David,
I have got a message. They are aware of the issue and are working on it to fix it ASAP.
I hope that helps.
Zlatko
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

As my two contacts above emailed them I have now received the following email from Malej Jarda:-

Dear David Whiteley,
Zlatko Janeba contacted me and resent your email.

I am terribly sorry for the problems and the delay of your order, I help Jarda Snicer with communication because he is very busy in the nursery. But I was out of reach too and I feel ashamed it took so long. Unfortunately, I was abroad and moreover - I got my computer stolen there. Then I rushed to change all the passwords - and now we have been solving problems with login in my email account.

Also, there were also some delays as we used to combine seeds and plants from various friends. The coordination was awful I admit. So now we just moved all the seeds to one spot and limited a bit the offer but made it more accessible and faster. The seeds will be prepared as soon as possible - I am going to check it.

I do apologize once again,
Tomas
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

DaveW wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:02 pm As my two contacts above emailed them I have now received the following email from Malej Jarda:-

Dear David Whiteley,
Zlatko Janeba contacted me and resent your email.

I am terribly sorry for the problems and the delay of your order, I help Jarda Snicer with communication because he is very busy in the nursery. But I was out of reach too and I feel ashamed it took so long. Unfortunately, I was abroad and moreover - I got my computer stolen there. Then I rushed to change all the passwords - and now we have been solving problems with login in my email account.

Also, there were also some delays as we used to combine seeds and plants from various friends. The coordination was awful I admit. So now we just moved all the seeds to one spot and limited a bit the offer but made it more accessible and faster. The seeds will be prepared as soon as possible - I am going to check it.

I do apologize once again,
Tomas
This confirms that they have historically been slow due in large part to combining seeds from friends to make up orders. Why does it take so many different contacts to contact the owner or workers to get back to you? That seems like a strange way to run a business and needs a serious review.
If they are truthful though that they will limit their inventory to just one coordinated spot that could prove beneficial in the future. They still need to correct customer service. Thanks for finding this all out David.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Thanks, Dave - hopefully, I will hear from them soon about shipping my order.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

One of my contacts made the remark:-

"Jarda is not a bad guy at all, but a dreamer."

Which I take to mean just like you say Pereskiopsis, not very business like! However they do sell stuff not usually available from other sources.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Apparently, the little push is what it took. I received the seeds from Gerardo today!
Just in time to get them in my next sowing batch. So, from ordering/paying on November 20th, to reception on Feb 13th...about 3 months.
Could be worse. ;)
Condorfax

Post by Condorfax »

Hi all
I also placed a small order on November 11, 2019, and I've still yet to hear anything.
I will have to be waiting until next sowing season...
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Have just received email confirmation and tracking number my order has been shipped'
Condorfax

Post by Condorfax »

NO response yet since 11 November.
In such virus days, I might have to leave my? seeds, or anything about i my me mine...a little bit.
let's take care, everyone!
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

I found Jerardo's eBay account by accident looking for a copy of his book which was an order I cancelled, taking more than 4 months for a slim book! You can see the feedback is telling of the feedback others are leaving here. Buying from his eBay store might be beneficial if you are interested in his rare offerings because you will get the buyer protection and Paypal can make things quite quick in this regard. For your reference: https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/cacti_cacti

Legitimately, anything that hasn't been shipped already is likely to take additional weeks or months. I was just informed from a Polish grower I often order from that international shipping is suspended from Poland during the pandemic. Your guess is as good as mine as to when that would be resolved.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.