Portable shed as greenhouse

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
iceoverburntthigh

Portable shed as greenhouse

Post by iceoverburntthigh »

Anyone ever had an experience using a portable shed like this as a greenhouse?
Appreciate any info.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
cactushobbyman

Re: Portable shed as greenhouse

Post by cactushobbyman »

Taking on different weather condition will be the issue and the covering may not allow the sun light in. :)
iceoverburntthigh

Here's my plan. For the base I was going to insert the poles into iron rods buried a foot deep and half a foot sticking out, run flat boards and secure them with a u bolt all around, and use polyethylene plastic sheet. Like this one:

Not sure how much wind this will withstand though, it does get windy here.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
iceoverburntthigh

Found this on youtube and a few more vids https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05tsxnSCIxs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I made a shade area for putting plants in during the summer and I covered it with Greenhouse UV plastic film 6ml for the winter. One issue was the wind. I did not include a vent to allow the wind to travel through the structure and the plastic found ways to become free from the tie down. If I made a vent, it may have help, but the temps inside would drop from the daytime heat. If the plastic is secured not to get away, better not have any sharps edges, another issue. Even a screw head will cut through the plastic when the wind blows. Spring time I had to open it up for ventilation because it got too hot during the day and close it at night because the night temps were still to low. Have the opening facing the prevailing winds and that may help keep the issue at bay. The greenhouse film I used work well and should do a good job for you if you plan for the possible issues. :)
iceoverburntthigh

Eureka!
Will go with this instead, relatively inexpensive. No fab needed.

WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Oh please ... let me have caught you before you have bought your polyethylene (sp?) plastic!!!

I did EXACTLY the same thing, and the plastic sheeting that I bought at the local hardware store deteriorated due to ultraviolet light and had to be replace TWICE in ONE summer!

What you need to buy is "greenhouse plastic" that has been coated for a couple of reasons, one of which is ultraviolet. This stuff is 6mil, 4 year, Greenhouse Plastic. I bought mine, 16' x 30' for $65 from Amazon. It is "Currently Unavailable" from that same page, but if anyone will respond to THIS note, I will go to the effort of finding out who the Manufacturer/Distributor is and post THAT.

You will be EXTREMELY sorry if you buy plastic sheeting from the local hardware store. I paid more money for the plastic sheeting from the hardware store than I did for the coated 4 year 6 mil Greenhouse Plastic, and it JUST DIDN'T DO THE JOB!!

I SURE hope this helps
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The same applies to bubble wrap or plastic insulation inside glass greenhouses. The normal may last a couple of years before disintegrating, the UV stabilised lasts many years, but is of course usually dearer. If you can't find it locally "Google" for it.

If he bought a polythene greenhouse as in his picture that would be UV stabilised.
thorneyheart

Post by thorneyheart »

Nice plan you have for a greenhouse. In my case, I've been reading creative ways to use old tires and trying to see if I could use mine as a fence or any garden-related setup for our backyard. I just ordered replacement Toyo tires, so I'm planning to repaint the worn out ones and apply 3D-printing to add decorations and function.