So I decided to sow

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
thorneyheart

Re: So I decided to sow

Post by thorneyheart »

I like how adorable your Lobivia and Echinocereus are. I'm glad they're growing well.
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

mmcavall wrote:New batch (March 12th). Seeds from Mesa Garden.
The sowing mix is more porous than the previous ones. Surface sowing but I added a little vermiculite over each seed to assure imbibition.
Good results overall, but I’m disappointed with the Pachypodium….none of the seeds sprouted and I wanted it so badly.

I received a huge order from MG a couple of weeks ago and have been working on getting them planted. I also ordered MG 3033, E. bubalina. Given your results, I'm not very hopeful, but I'll let you know if my results are any different than yours.

By the way, I ordered a bunch of my Pachypodium seeds from a seller on eBay named cartbarnpro in Austin, Texas. I'm not sure if he'll ship to you, but many of the seeds he shipped to me did well. I've heard the key to Pachypodium seeds is freshness. After a year of adding they do very poorly.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Vipassana wrote: I received a huge order from MG a couple of weeks ago and have been working on getting them planted. I also ordered MG 3033, E. bubalina. Given your results, I'm not very hopeful, but I'll let you know if my results are any different than yours.

By the way, I ordered a bunch of my Pachypodium seeds from a seller on eBay named cartbarnpro in Austin, Texas. I'm not sure if he'll ship to you, but many of the seeds he shipped to me did well. I've heard the key to Pachypodium seeds is freshness. After a year of adding they do very poorly.
Good to hear from you Vipassana! How many E. bubalina seeds did you received? I received only five, but there were no "x" , "*" , or "+", so I was expecting 20...Anyway, none of the five sprouted, hope you are luckier. Yes, Pachypodium seeds must be fresh. My first purchase from MG Pachypodium seeds was sucessful, but not the last one.

Next post you will see some of the seedlings from the seeds you sent me.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

thorneyheart wrote:I like how adorable your Lobivia and Echinocereus are. I'm glad they're growing well.
Thank you very much, Thorneyheart, for your kind words. They are really cool! My very first batch of cacti! For some time I found them boring and tried many different things such as Euphorbias, Asclepiads, etc. But now that 10 months has passed, I think that they are the coolest seedlings I have (apart from the Euphorbia meloformis, a great favourite). Now planning to order my wish list of cacti seeds.

And just because you commented on them, I'll post some pictures taken today, all from around the same sowing season, August 2016:

Echinocereus fitchii:

Echinocereus fitchii and a seedling from cactus mix (looks like Ferocactus):

The Ferocactus in close:

Lobivia aurea:

Lobivia aurea, L. aematantha and Soherensia bruchii:

Rebutia pygmaea:

Another one from the cactus mix, the first to be transplanted, looks very nice, no idea what it is:

Notocactus magnificus:

Astrophytum capricorne:

Soherensia bruchii and Soherensia formosa:

Notocactus turececkianus:

Notocactus submammulosus:

Acanthocalycium or Gymnocalycium?

Trichocereus or Gymnocalycium ?

Astrophytum myriostigma:

A volunteer:

Opuntia potsii and Ferocactus herrerae:

Pachycereus pringleii:

Some potting mix tests with Astrophytum....

and with Ferocactus wislizenii:

That is it. All these seedlings are under full sun.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I got an Echinocereus stramineus from mixed cactus seed, yours looks rather similar.
Spence :mrgreen:
thorneyheart

Post by thorneyheart »

Oh my gosh, you really did an amazing job raising them. They all look lively and well. Kinda excited about your Rebutia pygmaea. =D>
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

thorneyheart wrote:Oh my gosh, you really did an amazing job raising them. They all look lively and well. Kinda excited about your Rebutia pygmaea. =D>
Thank you very much again!
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

greenknight wrote:I got an Echinocereus stramineus from mixed cactus seed, yours looks rather similar.
Thanks Spence! It is a beautiful species, lucky me (I must say that the cactus mix was not from MG; it was from Argentina)
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

What has been the growth rate on your Astrophytum? I planted several types and batches. So far the A. ornatum have been relatively quick. Probably closer to your typical Ferocactus. But the A. myriostigma v nudum and A. niveum v nudum have been painfully slow. To the point I'm thinking about grafting some to speed them up.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's a bit young to say that one is definitely E. stramineus, but it looks likely. Mine was cheap, off-the-shelf stuff. Ferry-Morse seed iirc. I mistook it for a Cleistocactus at first
Spence :mrgreen:
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Vipassana wrote:What has been the growth rate on your Astrophytum? I planted several types and batches. So far the A. ornatum have been relatively quick. Probably closer to your typical Ferocactus. But the A. myriostigma v nudum and A. niveum v nudum have been painfully slow. To the point I'm thinking about grafting some to speed them up.
The myriostigma were slow at first, for a long time, but suddenly they started to grow faster in the last 2 months. The same for capricorne, but they are smaller and slower.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

greenknight wrote:It's a bit young to say that one is definitely E. stramineus, but it looks likely. Mine was cheap, off-the-shelf stuff. Ferry-Morse seed iirc. I mistook it for a Cleistocactus at first
ok let's wait a little more. I'll ask for ID in the future!
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Vipasana, these are Aloe variegata seedlings from the seeds you sent me:

Thanks a lot, they are very nice!
thorneyheart

Post by thorneyheart »

You keep on surprising us with a newer one. :D
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

mmcavall wrote:Vipasana, these are Aloe variegata seedlings from the seeds you sent me:

Thanks a lot, they are very nice!
Those look better than mine! Strong work.

No problem on the seeds. I need to plant the rest of the Rhipsalis seeds you sent me soon. My Rhipsalis species collection has been growing lately, but my efforts to grow them from seed have had limited success. I am learning though.

Any time you need more seed, let me know and I'll see what I have to offer.