Help! Whats wrong with my Epiphyllum?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
jml95

Help! Whats wrong with my Epiphyllum?

Post by jml95 »

Epiphyllum 1.JPG
Epiphyllum 1.JPG (52.99 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
Epiphyllum 2.JPG
Epiphyllum 2.JPG (45.99 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
Hello everyone,

I am quite new to the orchid cactus world and am a bit concerned with the condition of my orchid cactus. One of the leaves has yellowish edging and seems to be just a tiny bit softer than the other leaves. In addition, it has a few brown spots on it. Another leaf has crispy brown edges that seem to have almost ate away at the leaf. I have this epiphyllum on a humidity tray and the soil feels moist but I am only watering about 1xweekly. It gets bright light near a southern facing window but is about 6-7 feet away from the window. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :D
kristian_Fossmo

Re: Help! Whats wrong with my Epiphyllum?

Post by kristian_Fossmo »

Looks like potassium deficiency, but it tricky to diagnos deficiencies...but the soft leaves also indicates potassium deficiency as the potassium is involved in turgor pressure...
"When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again."
William Beebe, 1906
kristian_Fossmo

Or is it overwatering?
"When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again."
William Beebe, 1906
jml95

Post by jml95 »

kristian_Fossmo wrote:Or is it overwatering?
Thank you for the diagnosis! I had no idea about the potential for potassium deficiency in these guys! Now I just have to determine if it is the potassium deficiency or overwatering.. :-k .

I originally had it in a commercial cacti/succulent mix which was composed (at least it appeared to be) of peat with sand. I also had it on a humidity tray. The soil seemed dry on top when I watered (about 1X weekly) but I wasn't entirely sure if the soil was dry throughout. I had it in a terracotta pot which I thought wicked the water out but I can't be sure. So when the yellowing leaves appeared I replanted with about 20% commercial cacti soil, 20% commercial orchid soil and the remaining 60% perlite. The soil still seems to be moist like wet sand for at least 4-5 days after watering. From what I read these guys like to be moist but not wet, I just don't know how moist or for how long...

Since I amended the soil, which is hopefully draining better than it previously did, should I treat for the potential potassium deficiency? How does one treat for that ailment? Hopefully I can avoid more damage to the plant by combating both at the same time. Although I might not figure out exactly which was to blame (the deficiency or overwatering) I'll save my little guy!

Thanks again!!!
kristian_Fossmo

Give it half strength NPK fertilizer with trace elements every other watering or so, then flush the soil properly with plain water a couple of times a year, to leach out nutrient salt buildup. Don´t be scared to let it sitt dry for a couple of days, mine never mind to be dry for some time, sometimes for a week or so. If it´s starting to wilt, just water it.
William Beebe, 1906
jml95

Post by jml95 »

kristian_Fossmo wrote:Give it half strength NPK fertilizer with trace elements every other watering or so, then flush the soil properly with plain water a couple of times a year, to leach out nutrient salt buildup. Don´t be scared to let it sitt dry for a couple of days, mine never mind to be dry for some time, sometimes for a week or so. If it´s starting to wilt, just water it.
Thanks so much for all your advice! Running to my local nursery tomorrow to pick up some fertilizer. The top two inches or so seem to be dry but I can still feel some moisture down further. I'm taking it off my "regular" 1 X weekly watering schedule and will let it dry out completely between waterings as you suggested. Thanks again!!