toadstar's cactus

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
ElieEstephane

Re: toadstar's cactus

Post by ElieEstephane »

Well at least that narrows it down! Thanks!
I always thought opuntias are sporadic from seed. From several sowings i only got 1 seed to germimate which eventually died due to heat.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

I got quite a few opuntias to germinate from seed. Many of them within a month or so although a few took over a year to do so.
Just the standard baggy method was used for first couple of weeks. I know that some seeds germinate better if they have been lightly nicked. I did that with one sowing but not another and I didn't really notice much of a difference in the germination rates though. Perhaps it was just a bad batch in your case.
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

Some days my cacti get more mail than I do.

Last edited by toadstar on Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

toadstar wrote:A friend of mine in Arizona sent a few of her pups to me a couple months ago. So far all but the smallest one of the bunch have started growing. She didn't know what she had but it looks like an echinopsis of some sort to me. Can anybody narrow it down?
Not being an expert, I can only tell you what I think it is. Echinopsis oxygona. The one I have is a pup from larger plants that put off the BIGGEST prettiest pink flowers I have ever seen. Yours are closer to while, so I cannot say for sure. And the ones I have seen definately did NOT stand up on stalks like one of yours has.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

Happy new year! May your cacti bring you beautiful blooms all year long.

Last edited by toadstar on Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

One year later and my nipples have grown quite a bit. I might end up having to repot this summer.

toadstar wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:37 pm Texas Nipple Cactus (Mammillaria prolifera) first spines. Thank you for the seeds, leisurely.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

toadstar wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:52 am I started this guy from seed last year.
I find very little so deeply satisfying and SO ... compelling ... as to put seeds in the ground and watch them grow. Congratulations. Be prepared to lose a significant portion of them early in their life though. Let them sit in the same medium for about two years before moving them though ... it's been my experience that repotting them is stressful and guaranteed to kill a few.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

toadstar wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:11 pm ... She didn't know what she had but it looks like an echinopsis of some sort to me. Can anybody narrow it down?
I would say the first ones, the ones with the REALLY short spines are Echinopsis oxygona, although they look SEVERELY etiolated. Only having been in the cactus collecting/growing habit for 8 or 9 years, I consider myself a newb, and I MAY be wrong ... but I don't think so.

Do a Google search on either Mammillaria oxygona or Easter Lilly Cactus ... and look at what you get.

I just noticed an earlier posting that I made in 2017 ... which I have absolutely NO recollection of whatsoever ... my memory lapses are getting scary.
Last edited by WayneByerly on Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

toadstar wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:06 pm My security guard.
I found a large fat green praying mantis (female) stuck in a SUBSTANTIAL spider web on my mothers back porch. I like these insectcs, so I freed it. It didn't move around much, so I thought that it might be severely stressed. I had seen a much smaller brown praying mantis (male) in my strawberries, so I thought she might like some company. I gently brushed her off onto the leaves close to her male counterpart. And she just sat there. And then HE made some movement, and she noticed him straight away ... and promptly pounced on him and ate him.

so much for wanting to help...
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

toadstar wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:57 pm The prairie prickly pears (Opuntia macrorhiza ?) are blooming on this beautiful day.
I'm not much of a fan of Opuntia ... but I've got to admit that I think these are quite attractive flowers. But why wouldn't they be? They're cactus flowers!
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

A chilly spring day.
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

From seed to flower in 3.5 years. My little Echinopsis from a mixed seed packet is all grown up now.
DodoBrooke

Post by DodoBrooke »

Must be a wonderful feeling seeing your seedling in bloom =D>
And thank you for images on M.Prolifera, as a beginner those were the first seeds I tried sow 2 months ago and I am glad to see how seedlings looked so I can compare to mine :D
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

I'm pretty stoked. Some better pictures now that the sun is up.
Last edited by toadstar on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

I did pretty well selling off some of my excess seedlings and extra cacti this year. All sold out!

Last edited by toadstar on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.