Propagation of asterias from seed

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Aloinopsis

Re: Propagation of asterias from seed

Post by Aloinopsis »

Thank you very much. I have several with red tops and thought it looks odd. I don't particularly like it.
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

That https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... 30#p376785 flowering & making a cross-pollination gave me two seed pods on each Astrophytums.
Image X Image
I sowed the mix of the seeds from collected seed pods and germination has high rate. About ten seedling rotted.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

It seems all seedlings are healthy currently.
I hope you could keep this condition continuously.
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

Hanazono wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:24 pmIt seems all seedlings are healthy currently.
I hope you could keep this condition continuously.
Thank you! I treated the seedlings with REVUS fungicide (mandipropamid). After treatment not a single seedling has rotted.

vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

Quick update
keith

Post by keith »

I crossed asterias with coahuilense got a bunch of seeds and hope I get as good results as you did. =D>
s.kallima

Post by s.kallima »

I have been reading this discussion with awe and admiration. I have sown some Astrophytum asterias 3 weeks ago and there are coming along nicely (despite waiting too long to sow them, I have around 60% germination after 3 weeks), and more seeds are on their way to me.
I have just one question at the moment : do you know the variety called Investor Kabuto? I have seen pictures online of many Kabuto forms but nothing on that one. I bought seeds in 2019 from Koehres Kakteen in Germany under the name: ASTROPHYTUM asterias, Japan - cv Investor Kabuto.
Unfortunately they don't have a picture of it on their website either. All I know about it is that it was the most pricey variety they had, and unfortunately only 1 of 9 seeds have germinated (my mistake for waiting one full year before sowing I guess...).
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning kallima,
do you know the variety called Investor Kabuto?
I think it is a meaningless English name and it also a no meaning Japanese name.

There are a group of asterias seeds called "yu-mei kabuto" which are created cultivars by famus breeders.
There are around 30 species.
eg.
Mr. Iwata created a very white asterias which was called "Iwata snow-white".

I am not sure and it is not a good English name but it may be "Inventors Kabuto"

Frank
s.kallima

Post by s.kallima »

Thank you very much Frank for taking the time to answer!
Hopefully I can raise this one single seedling to an adult plant...
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

Variegated asterias grow very slowly.
Seeds were sown in 2015 but seedlings are just 10 mm in diameter.
10 seedlings were repotted in 5 cm square tubes yesterday.
Attachments
Variegated asterias seedlings
Variegated asterias seedlings
IMG_0981 - Copy.JPG (116.6 KiB) Viewed 4488 times
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

Another update
There are some interesting seedlings
hiawog

Post by hiawog »

vitt13 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:39 pm Another update
Dude they look fantastic.
Hanazono wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:10 pm Variegated asterias grow very slowly.
Seeds were sown in 2015 but seedlings are just 10 mm in diameter.
10 seedlings were repotted in 5 cm square tubes yesterday.
That's amazingly slow. They are beautiful and your patience and care is an inspiration as always.
Mas_

Post by Mas_ »

Really amazing asterias. I Hope mine do even half as well! I just had a few questions- based on your years of expertise/experimentation, what age should the seedlings be re-potted when is the ideal time/age to cut the tap roots? I have two seedlings that I planted in November 2019, so they're a year and a bit old- should I repot them now and should I cut the tap roots in the process? Also, how often should they be watered after this?
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

Mas_ wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:03 amI just had a few questions- based on your years of expertise/experimentation, what age should the seedlings be re-potted when is the ideal time/age to cut the tap roots? I have two seedlings that I planted in November 2019, so they're a year and a bit old- should I repot them now and should I cut the tap roots in the process? Also, how often should they be watered after this?
This was my second Astrophytum seeds sowing. I'm definitely have not much experience in Astrophytum sowing. You may take a look on previous messages by Hanazono https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... 15#p320469
Mas_

Post by Mas_ »

vitt13 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:47 am
Mas_ wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:03 amI just had a few questions- based on your years of expertise/experimentation, what age should the seedlings be re-potted when is the ideal time/age to cut the tap roots? I have two seedlings that I planted in November 2019, so they're a year and a bit old- should I repot them now and should I cut the tap roots in the process? Also, how often should they be watered after this?
This was my second Astrophytum seeds sowing. I'm definitely have not much experience in Astrophytum sowing. You may take a look on previous messages by Hanazono https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... 15#p320469
Thank you! :D