A couple new plants from HP

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
BrandonH

Re: A couple new plants from HP

Post by BrandonH »

Saguaro123 wrote:
BrandonH wrote:Edit : Is there a reason why yours has bigger and more sounds then mine ?
IDK, there could be a number of reasons. The mix it's in contains some time release fertilizer and was under direct sunlight for 8+ hours during the growing season. Also, yours is sharing a pot with another cactus, so maybe there's more competition for resources?
I didn't think of that! I do want to separate them at some point. They are doing good together but it maybe having to share to much resources.

I was just wondering it it could be a different clone?
Brandon
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

That is a possibility, but our plants look nearly identical to each other when we first brought them. I think the main reason why they ended up looking different is because of the different growing conditions and climates they reside in. For example, my mix has time release fertilizer and the plant was in full direct sunlight for most of the day, so that's why it looks more robust and has longer spines than yours. Also, I would assume that it's a lot drier and sunnier in California than in Pennsylvania, so that may also influence growth.
BrandonH

Post by BrandonH »

All good points! Yes I don't think mine has fertilizer in it. I agree it's a lot wetter here it rains a lot in spring and early summer. Sometimes for weeks straight so I have to bring them under porch. These guys here do get long amount of direct sunlight when sunny but it's not uncommon for it to be cloudy as well for long periods.

I can't wait to post flowers in here... If it ever blooms!
Brandon