What is the most impressive CA cacti&succulent show?

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
Pushrestart

What is the most impressive CA cacti&succulent show?

Post by Pushrestart »

Hi everyone,

Trying to plan ahead this year and would like to go to a major cacti and succulent show in CA!! Would you mind sharing which one is your favorite, the largest, and the one with the best shopping options 8) :oops: ...
Also if there is a list of stellar cacti and succulent nurseries and greenhouses to see, please share your favs I'm open to anything from San Diego all the way up to Santa Barbara!

Thanks everyone! :mrgreen:
Saguaro123

Re: What is the most impressive CA cacti&succulent show?

Post by Saguaro123 »

I've only been to the annual CSSA show and sale at the Huntington Botanical Gardens, and I've always been blown away by the number of vendors, variety of plants for sale, and the quality of the show plants. The Huntington also has a booth at the sale where they sell some of the plants they propagate from their collection. I have found some very rare stuff when I went last summer and in 2009.

I also heard the San Diego C & S society and the Inter-City show and sales are very good.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

The Inter-City show is excellent, and yes -- quite impressive. If it's on the same weekend every year, pencil in your calendar for August 6 and 7. Location is the L.A. County Arboretum's Ayres Hall, 301 N. Baldwin Ave., Arcadia. (You may want to keep an eye on the Arboretum's website to verify the dates.) A word of advice -- if you want to buy plants, it's best if you get there on Saturday morning. By the afternoon the selections thin out, and there's not much left on Sunday. And by all means do not miss out on the opportunity to spend time with Woody Minnich. If you don't know the name, he's a legend on the American cactus and succulent scene. Woody attends all the shows, so if you really wanna go nuts, his sale displays are the biggest.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
C And D

Post by C And D »

The Inter-City Show is the largest and maybe the best CS show in the World.
You need to be there on Friday morning if you want the rare stuff.

The next best is the CSSA Show at the Huntington Gardens, July 4th weekend.

The San Diego Spring show is good, but the sales are a problem because of the long lines at the checkout.

Our Orange County Cactus and Succulent Society Shows in March and July are quite good,
and we are there, so you can check out our plants.
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
jones502

Post by jones502 »

Where in sand Diego are good cactus nurseries ?