Shade structure?

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Mark

Shade structure?

Post by Mark »

Hello,

So we recently built these new benches on the side of the green house. I am wondering if i should add some kind of shade for the plants. It gets pretty hot here. So I'm thinking the plants will need some afternoon shade at least. Right now I have mostly Opuntia but would also like to put some other plants that aren't fitting in the green house. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mark
jmoney

Re: Shade structure?

Post by jmoney »

In my experience, which isn't much, if the plant that you will be putting there already has full sun exposure, you should be ok. Otherwise, shade should be provided for part of the day. I have one plant that is sunburned because I did not know it had to be slowly acclimated to full sun after coming from a shaded location. But again, I am no expert.

Justin
Budding cactus enthusiast

Twitter: jmoneypn
Instagram: jmoneypn
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I have shade cloth covering all my benches. A lot of plants do just fine in full sun in the ground but suffer when in pots because the roots get too hot. I'd recommend getting 50% shade cloth and building a simple frame to hold it up.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks Justin and Kyle! I think I will add shade since most of my plants in the ground get some shade. I'm thinking about using a frame made from PVC to make it light weight.

I will keep you all updated.

Mark