Newbie upgrading from cellphone cam

Discuss cameras, settings, composition, or anything related to photography - cactus or other subjects.
DaveW

Re: Newbie upgrading from cellphone cam

Post by DaveW »

Also for higher magnification macro there is no need for cameras with the latest "all singing" autofocus, it's still simply not precise enough to photograph subjects with only a few millimetres depth of field. You have to resort to old school film camera pre automation techniques like learning to focus by eye on the focusing screen, a technique which since autofocus many conventional photographers have now lost.

http://www.macrominded.com/manual-focus.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Forget all the adverts for replaceable microprism and split image rangefinder screens too, these devices simply get in the way of a clear view of a macro subject. The old all over ground glass screen was best for macro work. You can still use modern camera screens to manual focus, I do most of the time, but they are slightly more difficult since they are now ground finer to produce a brighter image in the viewfinder because they expect most photographers will now depend on autofocus. The first essential for manual focusing is to get the viewfinder dioptre adjustment knob properly set for your eyesight.
LLLcacti

Post by LLLcacti »

Thanks snowfella! Okay well I know that I dont need speed. My mushrooms cant jump up and run away(like the ones on Super mario:-P) range is a wonderful thing to have...Although my mushrooms/flowers and other plants dont really move(baring some gust of wind) yes, most of the time I am out in the woods/wilderness, but I never really desire to shoot photos of birds or wildlife(beyond the plants/landscape and on occasion a night shot landscape/moon light night) Yes I would like to help my ex-professors with their books but I can help them with the static things like plants(they can find someone else for the moving things.) As far as my "model" friend well I figure any standard lens is ok to show off her clothing(Its not like she wants a thread count or anything) So I'm guessing a 6D, being far outside my price range, is out of the question...for now! I was looking at the 6d for more than just small features..but googling just know I learned that you can only use EF lenses on it...not EF-S(incase I find an old-school EF-S lens for cheap some day)

@ George...I took your advice and looked around for a little compact camera(I got a super deal BTW) I asked a friend of mine who gets second-fifth hand merchandise. anyways I got http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital ... nepix_j10/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for only $20(I think the guy he got it from was a drug addict? but I couldnt be too certain) I'll try to apply the skills I've read about on this little thing. who Knows, it might be somewhat decent?

@davew....I have read everything you've sent me and now I gotta try it out with the small camera. If my photos improve slightly then I'll look into a better camera.

Thank you 3 for the great advice...I'll post some photos soon!
The blind are truly blessed for there is no sight as marvelous as murals painted in their minds,
The deaf are truly blessed for there is no sound so joyous as the orchestra that plays in their heads!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Some photographers do use macro lenses or portrait and fashion photography.

http://blog.avenaim.com/2009/12/19/lens ... otography/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LLLcacti

Post by LLLcacti »

wow! That photo is beautiful....Models with macro...Who knew? As far as old school film is concerned I have all the darkroom equipment(bought it as a gift for a girlfriend for her Birthday and she ended up breaking up with me just prior to me giving it to her) I do not have room to set anything up though :-/ I have a color enlarger and a few trays some black tubes...To be honest Idk what anything is for. I just know I have it(bought everything from an old professor who was retiring supposedly he moved to spain?) anyways I couldnt really return any of it, and it has been sitting in my Garage ever since(there may be some old school lenses in there? I havent opened all the boxes) I thought about selling everything but then saw the prices and decided to keep them in case I ever get into film photography.
The blind are truly blessed for there is no sight as marvelous as murals painted in their minds,
The deaf are truly blessed for there is no sound so joyous as the orchestra that plays in their heads!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You can use reversed enlarger lenses for higher magnification macro work with appropriate adapters on a DSLR and tubes or bellows.

http://extreme-macro.co.uk/reversed-enlarger-lenses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.savazzi.net/photography/enlargerlensespm.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHP-cFr6zU4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also enlargers, if you can remove the head, make great copy stands or vertical macro rigs.

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/making-a-ma ... 10871.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.instructables.com/id/Photogr ... -enlarger/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsm ... 011ez.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enlargers and their lenses are now being dumped dirt cheap on EBAY as most photographers are now going digital.
LLLcacti

Post by LLLcacti »

wow this is AWESOME! but I think I kind of want to keep my enlarger intact(at least for now!) I think I may eventually want to get into film. Digital is truly incredible but something about film just makes me want to use it!(grew up with film....I think thats why I cant just let it go :-P) If I certainly come across another cheap enlarger I will gladly make both of these Idea's happen.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I think apart from simpler to produce monochrome film, colour stills film will become harder to obtain and more expensive in future, along with the developing chemicals required. Even the cinema is now giving up film and going digital and most sprocketed 35mm film still cameras used was consumed for movies, therefore it's manufacture for stills cameras was heavily subsidised by the much greater movie use. So still camera use alone will probably not be enough to make it's production worthwhile long term for the major manufacturers, apart from as a very expensive niche market probably catered for by small E. European or Chinese manufacturers. So the more expensive it becomes the less will use it and the less that use it the even more expensive it will become.

http://www.newstatesman.com/2014/08/s-all-folks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most leading camera manufacturers have indicated they will be producing no more film cameras, just concentrating on digital. Also enlarger and darkroom equipment firms like Durst have stopped production, so if you want to use film in future it will all have to be through second-hand equipment, plenty about at the moment as everybody goes digital, but as most is tipped into landfill having little second-hand value it will get rarer in future.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

I've got an old bellows rig for whenever I want to do extreme macro shots, about once in a blue moon.
Cost a pittance and will get me well past 1:1 magnification using an old manual 50mm lens.
LLLcacti

Post by LLLcacti »

While it certainly is true that digital seems to be the way of the future, film just screams to me saying "don't let me go!" I remember a professor(Santiago) talking to me about a trip he took his students on. They went to the ruins in Oaxaca, MEX. he and 45 students all went in with digital cameras and captured breath-taking photographs. they went back to the bus and swapped to standard film(apparently Santiago was obsessed with showing the differences between the 2 mediums) so they went and took the same shots. Once they were back at the university they developed the film there on campus and a few of the film shots had orbs on them(u know that "supernatural" orb that is supposed to be a ghost) well none of the digital photos captured anything remotely orb shaped and a few of the film ones did. Even Santiago was slightly baffled by it(he is an art professor...More on the sculpting and painting side of art than the photography side) I dont really know anything about orbs, or even the difference between digital/film for light capture or flash flaring or anything like that. but digital vs film....I want to keep film alive!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Most likely some form of light fogging by poor loading of the film, or exposure to light when developing it since once printing paper is exposed it becomes hypersensitive to light and even placing it too near the enlarger or safe light whilst printing another sheet can fog it. It could have been even accidental double exposure in the camera. Most so called supernatural events usually have some form of logical more worldly explanation.

http://strangeoccurrencesparanormal.wee ... ained.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4029" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

People always believe what they want to believe, even if there is sound scientific evidence to the contrary.

I know when it comes to digital projection after using slide film for 35 years before changing to digital, the digital image on screen is much brighter and truer colours than slide film ever was. I would not like to have to go back to film again.

A lot of things are kept alive by tradition since people don't like to have to change to new techniques, always claiming the old ways were better. The reason monochrome is still used is simply because it was invented before colour. As somebody once said "if colour film had been invented first would anybody have ever felt the need to invent monochrome"? Once we have been conditioned to a certain method of doing things when we were young we are always reluctant to change our old ways and embrace something new, even if science can prove it is better. As the saying goes "It's hard to teach old dogs new tricks!". It's only our older generations dying off that finally gets rid of most of the obsolete methods of doing things.
LLLcacti

Post by LLLcacti »

That is true! Anyways I had a PC full system crash so for the time being I am on a borrowed one :-/ I've already ordered a new one
LLLcacti

Post by LLLcacti »

:hiding: IM BACK! Just a few photos
Bottom of a Polypore
Bottom of a Polypore
Spec.jpg (47.07 KiB) Viewed 9218 times
bottom of a winecup...I think?
bottom of a winecup...I think?
Spec (1).jpg (36.66 KiB) Viewed 9218 times
a Chamomile flower
a Chamomile flower
Spec (2).jpg (31.98 KiB) Viewed 9218 times
chamomile plant that I have floating in a micro-hydroponic setup.
chamomile plant that I have floating in a micro-hydroponic setup.
Spec (3).jpg (92.05 KiB) Viewed 9218 times
Photo of my fishing day
Photo of my fishing day
Spec (4).jpg (49.32 KiB) Viewed 9218 times
7george

Post by 7george »

LLLcacti wrote:=== Also message me a list of some of the hiking gear you recommend...Perhaps I have overlooked a few things? I really wouldn't mind you critiquing my survival pack! Lord knows it needs some help :-P
===
There is standard survival pack or equipment set that works in any environment. It depends where you going, how many days and nights will spend outside, will be towing a girlfriend or somebody else with you, are there bears or other dangers in the area. I prefer day hikes and to be with a light backpack, also to divide photo tours from real hiking. You are probably younger and stronger and like challenges. And you may have an order from professional publishers that presumes some investment in gear and long-term engagements. After several seasons you will have enough experience and will know what you'll need for every trip.

P.S. Some sort of portable tripod would be very useful for doing good pictures. Also you should learn how to do the job not having it...
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
leland

Post by leland »

First step, pick a brand, pretty much Canon, Nikon, or Sony. Its pretty much a ford/chevy or 9mm/.45auto debate as you will get no definitive answer as to which is the best. The reason you pick a brand is because in the long run you will have more money tied up in lenses and accessories than in the body. And the body will probably be the first thing to wear out, so you just move all the lenses and stuff to a new body. I started with Canon so there is no reason to switch, but I would not knock the other 2 brands.

Next, most people of reasonably means have more lenses than talent. If you just get a wide angle, a macro, and a medium telephoto it will cover most things you want to do and with just 3 lenses you can concentrate on learning to use them. It's like the old saying "beware of a man with just one gun--he may know how to use it!"

For my amateur purposes, I drag around 2 old 10 mp bodies and they do just fine. On a trip to the US I just piced up a newer model (t5i) because they are practically giving them away on ebay because a new model is coming out. Be aware the new Canons (and the stm lenses) are more geared to video and don't really do much for plain photography. There are also good deals out there on new old model lens like the 55mm-250mm because the trendy crowd are buying the new models for video or just because. I paid $250 for my 55.250 several years ago and just picked up a backup for 90 bucks. I suspect you will find a similar situation with Nikon and Sony.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Good lenses will often hold their price better than the cameras. I bought a Nikon D200 camera body when they first came out for £1200, plus a new 70-180mm Micro Nikkor for £700 (=$1080.98). Now the lens often sells for about twice the price the camera body does second-hand, in fact often more than the lens cost new!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-Micro-N ... 43dbf44d10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The camera is just a "black box" with a shutter provided it has a decent sensor, it is the quality of the lens that is more important since that provides the image. A good lens on a cheap camera will usually provide a better image than a cheap lens on an expensive camera.