My greenhouse

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
giocactus

My greenhouse

Post by giocactus »

This greenhouse was built by my dad last summer, almost 100% DIY, with very little help from me and a welder, who made the door. Unfortunately I lost the pics depicting the steps of building process.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (33.07 KiB) Viewed 12677 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (27.09 KiB) Viewed 12677 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (28.2 KiB) Viewed 12677 times
Onzuka

Re: My greenhouse

Post by Onzuka »

And I think your Dad and the welder have made a good job there. I see the vertical walls are sheeted in polycarbonate, but what's the curved roof made from?

Steve
giocactus

Post by giocactus »

Hi Steve, the roof is also made from polycarbonate, the sheets are 6 meters long, we used 2 whole sheets for side walls and the roof and the cut the third one for the door and front side.

Sophie
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

That looks brilliant. Compliments to all of you. =D> I didn't realize that polycarbonate could be bent like that. How thick is it?

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giocactus

Post by giocactus »

Thank you, Tiggy! The sheets are 4 millimeters thick and were bent quite easily. Moreover these three sheets were even rolled and placed on the top of the car for transportation.
iceoverburntthigh

Post by iceoverburntthigh »

Good info here. I'm looking for info on how to build greenhouse, been looking at this tutorial https://youtu.be/e3OHjiwHqGc?list=PLCoA ... cGaDbVUzUw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
giocactus

Post by giocactus »

giocactus wrote:Hi Steve, the roof is also made from polycarbonate, the sheets are 6 meters long, we used 2 whole sheets for side walls and the roof and the cut the third one for the door and front side.

Sophie
Now I see I misunderstood your question. The walls themselves are built from aluminum. We had aluminum shutters removed from windows and they were disassembled and used for the whole greenhouse.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Beautiful job, just beautiful. I wish I had the funding to do the same ... i built mine out of 4x4's, 2 sheets of cattle fencing a roll of plastic tape and a 16x30 sheet of greenhouse plastic. all told about $200, and THAT hurt my very slim pocketbook.

What YOU have there is the next thing to artwork. Just gorgeous.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
giocactus

Post by giocactus »

Thank you very much, your words are really encouraging. We needed to build a relatively strong structure here as weather is quite severe in Georgia with strong winds and low temps in autumn and winter. It's already below zero Celsius now.
Would be nice to see the pics of your greenhouse.
thorneyheart

Post by thorneyheart »

Your dad outdid himself. That is a really great setup and build of greenhouse.
giocactus

Post by giocactus »

Thank you!
Green_Cacti

Post by Green_Cacti »

Looks great! Hope everything you want will grow big and sweet :)
Find your local arborist here across the US
giocactus

Post by giocactus »

Thanks :) I have more slow-growers like Astrophytumr and they feel really good in it.