cactus next to computer stops headaches?

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
tomo

cactus next to computer stops headaches?

Post by tomo »

My Mom clipped this out of a magazine for me, since she knows I like cacti. :D
I tried to find out some more info online, and all I could find was that it looks like the study was done in the 1980s. I'd be curious of anyone else has heard this or has more information.
Hey, more cacti, sounds good to me! :D
Attachments
cactus article.jpg
cactus article.jpg (61.14 KiB) Viewed 9811 times
george76904

Re: cactus next to computer stops headaches?

Post by george76904 »

Lol that's funny!
LLLcacti

Post by LLLcacti »

That's AWESOME...if it's true that is.
The blind are truly blessed for there is no sight as marvelous as murals painted in their minds,
The deaf are truly blessed for there is no sound so joyous as the orchestra that plays in their heads!
hegar

Post by hegar »

Well, if nothing else, it does make the office feel a little less drab. Perhaps the workers are less tired, because they have to be alert, with the cactus and its spines being nearby. :lol:
Now, in earnest, I am quite sure, that living things - be they animals or plants - do have a soothing effect on the person near them.
I do not believe, that a cactus is able to soak up electromagnetic radiation that emanates from the computer.

Harald
Ohioman

Post by Ohioman »

I find that looking at a computer screen too long causes eyestrain. Eyestrain causes headaches. People working on an interesting project or problem tend to concentrate so hard that they forget to rest their eyes every so often. Maybe the fact that there is an interesting living thing close by causes people to stop every so often and look at the plant and away from the screen. A living plant also gives you a place to focus your eyes when you stop to think. A Nano aquarium, African violet, or lucky Bamboo would probably do just as well, but cacti are easier to take care of.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Doubtful it will work, but interesting.

I do get migraines every now and then, including blind spots and auras for half to one hour, a fortunately bearable headache following this, and then an annoying - sometimes lasting for weeks - aftermath of a lesser headache.

If I get the maigraines, I am always or at work or on the train to work, strangely enough. I stare out of the window a lot while at work. So I don't think a different focus of ones eyes to something else is the key.
7george

Post by 7george »

"Cactus instead of computer stops headaches" - this is the proper statement.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
HairyHarry

Post by HairyHarry »

With a cactus on my desk I will probably look at my screen a bit less; I suppose that will do the trick.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Doing a google search on "institute of geobiology switzerland" didn't inspire me with confidence that it exists.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti