The C and D Seed Growing Method

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
C And D

The C and D Seed Growing Method

Post by C And D »

We frequently get asked about growing seeds, so I thought I would start a thread, and we can just give them the link for the info.

First of all, we do not use the baggie method.
Second of all, we seem to grow many species amazing well using our method, but other species do not do so well, like tiny Aztekium seeds, where the baggie method would probaly do better.

Instead of baggies, we use clear containers!!!
We always do seeds in batchs, so we plant several pots of different seeds, then fill up a container of pots that can all be germinated at the same time.
IMG_1377.jpg
IMG_1377.jpg (67.89 KiB) Viewed 17395 times
Then we put it under lights or the greenhouse with the lid on it.
IMG_1376.jpg
IMG_1376.jpg (37.85 KiB) Viewed 17395 times
Sometimes we do trays of seeds, and put the whole tray in a clear container.
IMG_1379.jpg
IMG_1379.jpg (50.33 KiB) Viewed 17395 times
Last edited by C And D on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
C And D

Re: The C and D Seed Growing Method

Post by C And D »

The Cactiguide "Post a reply" box starts giving troubles after I get to the bottom of the box, so I will just start a new post after I reach it each time.

Why use a clear container rather than a baggie?
Because you can continue to spray the seedlings with sterile water to get them to germinate, like what the natural rains do, which washes off germination inhibitors.

And you can keep an eye on them to see how they're doing.

But!!!!
To use this method, everything must be sterile for the first couple months, until you take the lid off, because any fungus will just go crazy in a closed container like this.

I usually leave the lid on for at least 2 months, sometimes up to 6 months.

edit:
I usually take the lid off in one month now
Last edited by C And D on Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craig and Denise Fry
C And D

Post by C And D »

How do we keep things sterile?

We use the microwave and chemicals.

You may not need to go to the same extremes that I do, but you can go farther I'm sure, since plant labs do it way better than me.

First:
Sterilize the soil and any toppings that you will apply, like sand and a bit of extra soil.
I fill all the pots with soil, put them in the clear container, then microwave at full for 3 minutes
Then I spray all the pots with RO water heavily, until water is coming out the bottom of the pots, then I microwave at full for 3 minutes again.
The soil is kind of caked at this point, so poke it with a stick to break the top up and scoop off the pumice top layer, fluff up the lower good soil, then pack it flat lightly, so the seeds don't fall into deep holes.

Seedling soil is complex topic, so I will say use a soil that has the big stuff sifted out, and can handle being sprayed alot without root rot.
I use a medium light mix with course sand, pumice and soil mix. It may take some time before you get the perfect seedling soil mix.

Sow the seeds evenly on the surface of the soil. If the seeds are big, cover them lightly with sand and soil, small seeds may not need to be covered, but sometimes I sprinkle fine dirt on them. I usually sow 10 to 30 seeds per small pot.
Last edited by C And D on Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craig and Denise Fry
C And D

Post by C And D »

Second:
Sterilize the seeds in the pots.

Seeds are not sterile, nor is the process of sowing.

So after you sow, you need to sterlize with chemicals.

Here is my system.
1) Spray with RO (reverse osmosis) water, which does not need to be sterile. This first spray is to just get some water on the seeds before you soak them with the chemicals, so the seeds don't soak up the chemicals the first time they get water. Let them sit for 30 mnutes to an hour with the lid on..

2) Spray with insecticide spiked with Chinosol (use RO water). This step is to make sure there are no bugs. Mix your favorite insecticide with 0.5 grams of chinosol. Spray seeds, let soak 30 minutes. I'm using Triazicide as my insecticide of choice, at 1 tbs per quart.

3) Spray the seeds with full strength Physan 20 (availble at any Garden Supply) (~2.5 ml per quart, use RO water). Spray the pots heavy, but not enough so the seeds float around. Spray the clear container lid and insides. Let it soak for 30 minutes to an hour. This stuff is like soap, and washes off germination inhibitors.

4) Spray with pure chinosol (1.0 gram per quart RO water). Wash off the insecticide and sterilize with chinosol. Let soak 30 minutes.

5) Spray with "Germination Water", the last spray before putting the container in the sun or light bench. Germination water is RO water spiked with chinosol at about 0.1 gram per quart. This washes off the stronger chinosol, and lets them soak in mostly pure sterile water.

You may need to mop up the excess water at the bottom of the clear container, you don't want the pots soaking in it.
Last edited by C And D on Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Craig and Denise Fry
C And D

Post by C And D »

Maintaining the seed containers:
The top of the container should have some condensation on it, if not, the pots are getting too dry.
You can peek in to see how they look.

Spray with the "Germination Water" anytime the pots look dry, remember, they should always stay moist.

If you see any fungus, seed death or algae, spray the pots heavily with pure chinosol and leave on for a day or 2.
You can add some fertilizer to the "Germination water" if you want after the seeds germinate, but be careful to keep the conc. low until you uncover the containers.

After you remove the lid for good, you can use regular RO water and fertilize.

Here are some seedlings from past sowings

Mesembs
IMG_1385.jpg
IMG_1385.jpg (73.3 KiB) Viewed 17391 times
Bulbine
IMG_1382.jpg
IMG_1382.jpg (71.74 KiB) Viewed 17391 times
A whole lot of Haworthia truncata
IMG_1380.jpg
IMG_1380.jpg (122.23 KiB) Viewed 17391 times

Craig and Denise Fry
RichR

Post by RichR »

Appreciate the info. Now I have a use for those old mixed greens containers.
RichR

Post by RichR »

I can't find Chinosol. Is there a substitute?
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

RichR wrote:I can't find Chinosol. Is there a substitute?
I only know of one source, a farmecy called Bik & Bik in Leiden, the Netherlands. They sell Superol, which contains chinesol: https://www.bik-bik.nl/product/5709/sup ... tje-3-gram" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RichR

Post by RichR »

Apparently, they also use it for sore throats in The Netherlands. Thanks for the tip, Aiko.
george76904

Post by george76904 »

C&D plants sells it
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

george76904 wrote:C&D plants sells it
Ah, yes, it's right at the bottom of their seed list.
Spence :mrgreen:
george76904

Post by george76904 »

greenknight wrote:
george76904 wrote:C&D plants sells it
Ah, yes, it's right at the bottom of their seed list.
Oh yeah I guess it would have been more useful to mention where it was #-o
RichR

Post by RichR »

What is the difference between Chinosol and Physan? Don' t they basically do the same things?
RichR

Post by RichR »

C And D wrote: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:54 pm Second:
Sterilize the seeds in the pots.

Seeds are not sterile, nor is the process of sowing.

So after you sow, you need to sterlize with chemicals.

Here is my system.
1) Spray with RO (reverse osmosis) water, which does not need to be sterile. This first spray is to just get some water on the seeds before you soak them with the chemicals, so the seeds don't soak up the chemicals the first time they get water. Let them sit for 30 mnutes to an hour with the lid on..

2) Spray with insecticide spiked with Chinosol (use RO water). This step is to make sure there are no bugs. Mix your favorite insecticide with 0.5 grams of chinosol. Spray seeds, let soak 30 minutes. I'm using Triazicide as my insecticide of choice, at 1 tbs per quart.

3) Spray the seeds with full strength Physan 20 (availble at any Garden Supply) (~2.5 ml per quart, use RO water). Spray the pots heavy, but not enough so the seeds float around. Spray the clear container lid and insides. Let it soak for 30 minutes to an hour. This stuff is like soap, and washes off germination inhibitors.

4) Spray with pure chinosol (1.0 gram per quart RO water). Wash off the insecticide and sterilize with chinosol. Let soak 30 minutes.

5) Spray with "Germination Water", the last spray before putting the container in the sun or light bench. Germination water is RO water spiked with chinosol at about 0.1 gram per quart. This washes off the stronger chinosol, and lets them soak in mostly pure sterile water.

You may need to mop up the excess water at the bottom of the clear container, you don't want the pots soaking in it.
Craig, I'm wondering if you still use Chinosol. I have read a number of other sources that claim it is harmful to some cactus seeds.
C And D

Post by C And D »

I never have had any problems with Chinosol
I spray it at full strength heavily on seedlings and they never seem to have any adverse reactions.
What is the difference between Chinosol and Physan? Don' t they basically do the same things?
Yes they do the same thing.

Not sure which one is harder on seedlings.

Craig and Denise Fry