Degrafting

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Hanazono

Re: Degrafting

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning arnia,
I would like to degraft, a geohintonia mexicana and obregonia dangerii,
Both species are relatively easy to degraft/root.
You can go to a normal degrafting.
I did many times of degrating/rooting for these species but I have never experienced rooting failure.

You need a warm rooting medium temperature for the cacti rooting which is around 25 'C.
I do not know where you live but the degrafing should be carried out in spring.

Frank
arnia

Post by arnia »

Good day Frank

Thank you for your advice, I greatly appreciate it and hope all is well with you. However I still have a few questions and I would appreciate it if you could answer them.

Would you advise I use any rooting powder (indole-3 b) for the obregonia? I've heard from friends that obregonia is very difficult to root, so is there any extra measures I can take to have it successfully root?

Also what medium would be good for obregonia and geohintonia?

Lastly, should I lightly moisten the medium like you would with lophophora? Or moisten the bottom of the pot or just leave it dry?

Thank you very much for the advice.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning arnia,
Would you advise I use any rooting powder (indole-3 b) for the obregonia? I've heard from friends that obregonia is very difficult to root, so is there any extra measures I can take to have it successfully root?
I do not use any rooting powders. The rooting of obregonia is easy.
I use garden-lime as a drying agent which coveres over the cutting face.
The garden-lime is not rooting powder.
I use pumice sand 2~4 mm size for the rooting medium. You can use any permeable material with similar size.
should I lightly moisten the medium like you would with lophophora? Or moisten the bottom of the pot or just leave it dry?
You have to dry the cactus long enough before setting for the rooting. It will be 3 weeks at least.
If you watered from top, water never reaches to the cutting face physically. Please water from bottom.

Frank
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

G'day Frank,
The old photos of your Ariocarpus degrafting process are no longer visable. Would you be able to repost the photos here please, so I can see the methods?
Thank you very much for sharing your skill and experience.
Alex
Zone 10, Sydney Australia
I love the Mexican Miniatures best!
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Alex,
The old photos of your Ariocarpus degrafting process are no longer visable. Would you be able to repost the photos here please, so I can see the methods?
The degrafting method depends upon the type of stock.
Do you want to see hylocereus or Pereskiopsis stocks?

Frank
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Hi Frank, need your expert advice.

Today morning I saw that one of my Arios root stock rotted (roots were fine but body became mushy). So I immediately performed surgery. Due to fear I performed surgery on another Ariocarpus where root stock was rather scarry and ugly looking.

I removed the entire vascular bundle stock and filled the cavity with fungicide.

Here are the pics.

My questions are:
1. Do they look okay to you?
2. I know you use garden lime or other stuffs. But those weren't available and I had to make sure that fungus don't attack the cut areas.. hope this is okay?
3. Now they are in shade, away from direct sunlight under fan. How long do you think they should heal and roots will develop?
4. When do I pot them in pot? I heard sand is very good rooting medium. Which material you use to root them?
5. Should I put them in pot once they form callous or before that?
6. Should the substrate be damp and how often to water them?

Thanks
Abhik
Last edited by abhikjha on Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tropical weather, no winters! :roll:
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Here are the pics, sorry couldn't attach earlier
Attachments
IMG_20210912_154124_copy_768x1024.jpg
IMG_20210912_154124_copy_768x1024.jpg (109.37 KiB) Viewed 4276 times
IMG_20210912_154132_copy_768x1024.jpg
IMG_20210912_154132_copy_768x1024.jpg (124.62 KiB) Viewed 4276 times
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'day Abhik,
2. I know you use garden lime or other stuffs. But those weren't available and I had to make sure that fungus don't attack the cut areas.. hope this is okay?
3. Now they are in shade, away from direct sunlight under fan. How long do you think they should heal and roots will develop?
4. When do I pot them in pot? I heard sand is very good rooting medium. Which material you use to root them?
1. I think they are OK.
2. It should be OK.
3. Dried for 3 weeks. Ariocarpus will not develop air-roots.
4. 3 weeks of drying is normally OK. Wipe fungicide out by a brush and check cutting face. If there was a cutting failure, you can not stop liquid running out from Ariocarpus body. If the face was dry you can set it for the rooting.
Sand is not good rooting medium. Permeable material is good for the rooting.
If a dent was formed on the scion, fill in wet clay grain.
5. Watering should be from bottom. Water will not reach the cutting face if you water from top.
I use wet potting mix for the initial setting. Watering from bottom weekly in my place.

Frank
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Hanazono wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:36 am G'day Abhik,
1. I think they are OK.
2. It should be OK.
3. Dried for 3 weeks. Ariocarpus will not develop air-roots.
4. 3 weeks of drying is normally OK. Wipe fungicide out by a brush and check cutting face. If there was a cutting failure, you can not stop liquid running out from Ariocarpus body. If the face was dry you can set it for the rooting.
Sand is not good rooting medium. Permeable material is good for the rooting.
If a dent was formed on the scion, fill in wet clay grain.
5. Watering should be from bottom. Water will not reach the cutting face if you water from top.
I use wet potting mix for the initial setting. Watering from bottom weekly in my place.

Frank
Thanks so much Frank! I will update after 3 weeks of drying. Hopefully they survive this ordeal.
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Hanazono wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:36 am I use wet potting mix for the initial setting
Hi Frank, do you slightly wet the rooting medium such as pumice and put the scion on top so that pumice touches the cavity? I heard people say don't water it until you see some signs of roots?
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Abhik,
do you slightly wet the rooting medium such as pumice and put the scion on top so that pumice touches the cavity? I heard people say don't water it until you see some signs of roots?
I just descibed my method of Ariocarpus degrafting/rooting. I do not know how others root degrafted Ariocarpus.
Since wet clay grain is filled in the cabity, pumice will not touch the cavity end.
The cavite end touches wet clay grain.

You can not see the sign of roots phsiycally because clay grain is filled in the cavity.
I do not see roots during rooting process. I push slightly the scion by a finger and check the resistance.

Potting-mix is wet when the scion is set for the rooting.

Frank
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Thanks Frank! I just went ahead and potted them anyway. It's the first time I am doing such thing so it will be a learning experience for me. I used small sized pumice and applied some rooting powder in the cavity and placed on top of the substrate. I am using microfibre cloth as capillary mat and currently they are placed in bright light(away from direct sunlight) location. I guess constant humid environment is necessary for roots to develop. So, will try to maintain that by bottom watering and if required some misting. Let's see if I get successful in rooting them.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

I did not have so much work in relation to cacti in this season but I did some degraftings.
The attached photo is degrafted Ariocarpus, which was done in this season.
9 fissuratus cv godzilla and 2 scaphirostris are in 9 cm square pots.
Attachments
Degrafted ariocarpus
Degrafted ariocarpus
IMG_1560 - Copy.JPG (138.37 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
Jaybizzle

Post by Jaybizzle »

Hanazono wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:23 am G'morning arnia,
“I use pumice sand 2~4 mm size for the rooting medium. You can use any permeable material with similar size.”

Is there agreement that fine pumice is a better rooting medium for normal degrafting than fine vermiculite?

I’m trying to root Tephrocactus/Puna offsets in my normal soil mix and it seems to be taking a long time. One segment I placed in vermiculite seems to be doing better.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Jaybizzle,
Is there agreement that fine pumice is a better rooting medium for normal degrafting than fine vermiculite?
Actually I have never used vermiculite and so I can not give my answer.

Frank