Bird food

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
leland

Bird food

Post by leland »

IMG_6580t_1.jpg
IMG_6580t_1.jpg (173.89 KiB) Viewed 6686 times
I planted this example of H costaricensis on a tree knowing it would get too high to harvest and the wildlife would have a feast. Something, I am told birds but climbing rats could be another answer, cuts a small hole and removes most of the seeds and pulp. My epiphyllum fruit meet a similar fate.

In nature, Hylocereus is a forest plant growing on trees and sometimes rocks, so this position on my tree approximates natural growth. They like a mix of sun, shade, and air circulation. The plant was grown from local seed from a market fruit.
Attachments
IMG_6588_1.JPG
IMG_6588_1.JPG (149.46 KiB) Viewed 6686 times
Brunãozinho

Re: Bird food

Post by Brunãozinho »

That's really cool, it's amazing how tall they climb, once I found a very big fallen tree with Hylocereus on the trunk, that was on the Amazonas, the cactus had climbed the trunk for more than 30 meters.
Bruno
leland

Post by leland »

And they are looking for their happy zone, the right combination of sun, shade, and air. I haven`t run into a downed tree with Hylocereus yet, but I have followed a couple downed trees with epiphyllum and it is interesting to see how they go into decline when they are down on the ground. Like orchids, these plants thrive in their little niche and when a windstorm blows down the tree that niche is gone.
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

Bird food is a good use for cacti, you have the beauty of the plants themselves plus the beautiful visitors. I'm planting some native cacti here with this purpose on mind.
Bruno