Prickly Pear soda

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
ricshaw

Prickly Pear soda

Post by ricshaw »

A review by some people who know little or nothing about Prickly Pear cactus.

bluetexasbonnie
Location: Geronimo, Texas (near San Antonio) Edge of zone 8a - 8b.

Re: Prickly Pear soda

Post by bluetexasbonnie »

None of the figs from prickly pear I have tried tasted lemony. ... but the jelly my grandmother made did have a hint of lemon, because she put lemon in it. She said it needed the acid to set up and to preserve it.

Somehow buying prickly pear soda from a New York manufacturer, seems very akin to buying salsa from New York. Might be good, but probably not the best (as defined by my Texas born & raised taste buds).

I couldn't bear to watch the whole thing. The tasters were just so lame and dull. However, I shall watch for it in my grocery store, and if I see it, I will try it.
My cactus must be gods. They demand blood sacrifice.
rrozzi

Re: Prickly Pear soda

Post by rrozzi »

They sell this stuff in little novelty Cracker-Barrel-esque gift shops. It tastes pleasant enough, but not at all like an Opuntia tuna to me. I'll admit though that I've never had a tuna from anywhere but an Indiana market, so I imagine I've probably only tasted those fruits with the most limited flavor-profile a distributor could find.

Also I watched 5 seconds of the video and had to stop... just awful lol