The Making of Tuna Jelly - Photos

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
John C

The Making of Tuna Jelly - Photos

Post by John C »

I started by harvesting ~65 Tunas (Opuntia fruits) No, I'm not making jelly from fish! Opuntia fruit is called Tuna. I harvested the fruit off of a huge, old, Opuntia englemannii var. linguiformis (Cows Tongue) that lives on an old abandoned property near me. It is just a plot of land now, and has been for years, but the Opuntia lives on. No one else makes use of the fruits, so I did. I need to go back a get a photo of the plant. I rode my bike over to it and took my camera, but when I got there I realized that I hadn't charged the battery in some time and as soon as I tried to take a photo the battery died. Oh well. I got my tuna - that's what matters.

On night #1 I burned off all of the Glochids with a propane torch. It worked well, but took a whole evening of work. It may have gone quicker if I wasn't so thorough, but I really didn't feel like eating glochids! :-#

Glochid free.

Just to be sure, on night #2 I rinsed and scrubbed the fruits. I handled every single one and only got two glochids in my hand. I'd say I did a great job of removing them with the torch! 8)

I boiled the fruits for 20 minutes then mashed them up.

Took the mashed up tuna and squeezed the juice out through a few layers of cheesecloth, then a strainer. I got 3.5 cups of pure juice. My hands were turning a nice purple/pink. It was then 1am on night #2 and I didn't feel like finishing the process - once again.

Finally! On night #3 (tonight) I spent the evening cooking the juice with pectin, lemon juice, and 5 cups of sugar. During which I prepped the jars. After lots of work I have six jars full of tuna jelly!!!
\:D/

All lined up. Thank you to Peterthecactusguy, as I basically followed your recipe:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21191" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did change some things a bit (such as adding the fresh lemon juice and preparing the jars a bit differently), but overall I followed the recipe. I left out the butter thinking that it was unnecessary and a strange addition, however, I read that it would prevent it from foaming over. During the last minute of boiling the jelly, things got a little sketchy. It foamed like crazy and nearly went over the large pot I was using. I wanted to boil it for the full minute but was nervous that I would have a total mess. THANKFULLY, right as the timer hit 0:00 and the foam was at the top I promptly removed it from the heat and disaster was diverted. Maybe the butter would have been a good addition after all. I don't know.

I have never made any sort of jam or jelly before, so it was all new to me. I sure hope it tastes good! After three nights of work it better! It hasn't hardened into a jam like texture yet. I will try it in the morning. I'll let you know how it tastes tomorrow.
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
Alber khan

Re: The Making of Tuna Jelly - Photos

Post by Alber khan »

Nice!I will try this some day........
When thousands of foes unite, for my ruins plot–
If only You remain by my side, I then fear not!
I live for a hoped union with thee, it is my desired prize–
Or all my moments are spent- in the fright of demise!
~Hafez (1325 – 1389): From Ghazal No. 287
John C

Post by John C »

I just sampled the finished product on some crackers and I have to say, it turned out delicious! \:D/
I was worried that it wouldn't be any good, or that the texture wouldn't be jelly/jam-like, but it really turned out perfect in my opinion. I couldn't be more pleased! :)
"Where the West begins"
kykeion

Post by kykeion »

Hmmm... peanut butter and tuna sandwich!
John C

Post by John C »

kykeion wrote:Hmmm... peanut butter and tuna sandwich!
I brought some of my tuna jelly to our local Cactus and Succulent Society Club meeting for people to sample and a couple people mentioned the same idea. I'm allergic so I won't be the one to try it, but if you like peanut butter, I imagine it would be very good.
"Where the West begins"
kykeion

Post by kykeion »

I just like the idea that most people think of the fish when you mention tuna, and the look of shock and horror they make when you replace "jelly" with "tuna" in contexts where the fish would be disgusting. But I'm sure the tuna jelly is delicious. I have never had it but I have sampled tunas a few times and found them to be quite tasty.
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

Oh that's something nice to do with the Tuna, I should try it when I collect some fruit. I wonder if the juice is also tasty...
Bruno
John C

Post by John C »

kykeion wrote:I just like the idea that most people think of the fish when you mention tuna, and the look of shock and horror they make when you replace "jelly" with "tuna" in contexts where the fish would be disgusting. But I'm sure the tuna jelly is delicious. I have never had it but I have sampled tunas a few times and found them to be quite tasty.
As you mentioned, it is quite hilarious to mention tuna jelly and not explain what it really is. They do give you a very strange look and wonder what's wrong with you for making something so terribly nasty sounding. :lol:
Brunãozinho wrote:Oh that's something nice to do with the Tuna, I should try it when I collect some fruit. I wonder if the juice is also tasty...
Yes, definitely try it when you have a chance. It is a lot of work, but it was worth it in my opinion.
I'm not sure about the juice. I didn't try any pure juice (other than just dipping my finger in and trying that), but I think it would be far to strong - for me anyways. I have heard of people using it to flavor a variety of different things such as lemonade, margaritas, and snow cones. A local store sells "Prickly Pear Italian Soda". It is absolutely delicious! 8) I don't know, I just think it would be pretty strong by itself. :-k
"Where the West begins"