Snowcat's dark window cacti collection

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Snowcat

Re: Snowcat's dark window cacti collection

Post by Snowcat »

Hello Everybody!

It's been a long time since I last posted here. SInce that I've changed my flat and instead of a northwestern window I now have a Southern window to place my cacti on.

Here is what my collection looks like today,

K.W.

Post by K.W. »

Good evening.

nice to read from you!
Hope you are fine?
The plants look very healthy and "happy".
AND they're a little closer to heaven now.
You live in a very tall house now. . . :mrgreen:

Best wishes

K.W.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
Arash37

Post by Arash37 »

Hello. Could you tell me the species of these 2 plants? They have very strong, great looking spines. :D
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Hello, nice plants! Is it permanent place or overwintering only?
Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

K.W. wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:00 pm Good evening.

nice to read from you!
Hope you are fine?
The plants look very healthy and "happy".
AND they're a little closer to heaven now.
You live in a very tall house now. . . :mrgreen:

Best wishes

K.W.
I am fine, thanks!

I had to renew my cacti collection... When I've changed the place I live in, I had no windowsills (almost, just 2cm!), there was a flat renovation and all that... It took it's toll of some of my cacti :( Not that much, but... I had to replace some of them...

And yes the new place is more comfortable, and the house is bigger, much bigger then the previous one :)
Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

Arash37 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:06 am Hello. Could you tell me the species of these 2 plants? They have very strong, great looking spines. :D
The close one is Tephrocactus papyracanthus.

The back one is Gymnocalycium horridispinum.
Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

anttisepp wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:47 am Hello, nice plants! Is it permanent place or overwintering only?
It is their permanent place. Maybe next summer I will organize them a new place on the balcony, but this summer they've lived here... It is a problem in winter as I cannot keep them cold enough. Melocactuses are quite happy with that. One even grew it's cephalium this year (the tall one with small white cephalium), but gymnos don't bloom because of that...
7george

Post by 7george »

Yes, it's strenuous in a flat with a cacti collection. When I lived in an apartment I had to hang some shelves inside and some baskets outside summer time... Don't you have a summer house (дача) or maybe the roof of the building is accessible and usable?
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

If you have a balcony it will be the best place for them, you know. Using small greenhouse with modest heating (heat mat) provides you to hold them outdoors from april to november and nice changing will happen the first summer. Cannot insist but it's too little light for Ferocacti histrix IMHO.
Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

7george wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:55 am Yes, it's strenuous in a flat with a cacti collection. When I lived in an apartment I had to hang some shelves inside and some baskets outside summer time... Don't you have a summer house (дача) or maybe the roof of the building is accessible and usable?
No, I don't have a summer house, so I'll have to try modifying my balcony next summer. Rooftops are all closed in Russia :( I never understood that, but that's the way it is.
Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

anttisepp wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:03 am Cannot insist but it's too little light for Ferocacti histrix IMHO.
Yep that's why I don't have any more Ferocacti. These two are grown from seeds (it was a "Cactus mix" with random seeds), and seeing them I understand that Ferocacti are not really "my" type of cacti.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Pity you haven't enough accommodations for them. ((
I really love them and will grow them till I can carry them from garage to greenhouse in spring and back in autumn. ))
Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

anttisepp wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:48 pm Pity you haven't enough accommodations for them. ((
I really love them and will grow them till I can carry them from garage to greenhouse in spring and back in autumn. ))
Yep ferocacti are really beautiful! And they are quite fast growing ones, which is quite unusual among cacti... But for me heavy sun requirement is a drawback. Russia is not exactly a sunny place... I add light for my cacti all year round.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Really, Finland is much sunnier... :wink: I think that white nights and aurora borealis provide strong spination and abundant flowering... :D
I use lamps only to reduce darkness of garage only.
Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

anttisepp wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:47 pm Really, Finland is much sunnier... :wink: I think that white nights and aurora borealis provide strong spination and abundant flowering... :D
I use lamps only to reduce darkness of garage only.
Hehe, point taken :) Interesting, as I use growth lamps all year long. In morning and evening in summer and all day long in winter... Even now when I have a southern window in my posession. And even still it is not enough for Ferocacti.