Loph flowers

Discuss cameras, settings, composition, or anything related to photography - cactus or other subjects.
Glochid Fingers

Loph flowers

Post by Glochid Fingers »

Just some pictures of some of my lophophora flowers.
image.jpg
image.jpg (89.76 KiB) Viewed 10024 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (80.2 KiB) Viewed 10024 times
gemhunter178

Re: Loph flowers

Post by gemhunter178 »

Very nice flowers! :D
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
majcka

Post by majcka »

Nice ones. You have a whole plantation of them over there. :lol:
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

Glochid Fingers, I know that colours don't always come out correctly on computer monitor screens, but your flowers seem to be different in colour to mine. I only get one colour of flower and it is a pale pink with a noticeable slightly deeper pink stripe down the middle of the petals.. Yours seem to be either just about white or quite a strong pink. What species of Lophophora do you believe yours to be? There are some pics of mine in my Members Topics section on page two.

Thanks

Steve
Glochid Fingers

Post by Glochid Fingers »

Onzuka, the white ones are koehresii and the pink is fricii. None of my willys or diffusa have flowered yet. But yours do look exactly like my williamsii (but with flowers). If you like I can post a willy picture next week so you can compare.
onesickfreak

Post by onesickfreak »

beautiful flowers. how old are your koehresii? i've got a few seedlings grafted to peres, but im gonna do hard grown next round...
the devil made me do it... it was so much fun
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

Ahhhh, beautiful L.sp's Glochid Fingers. How old? Unfortunately we have some what ridiculous laws regarding the Lophophora genus in QLD Aust. Am drooling from jealousy :). Some day i'm gonna move to a place where they're legal and propagate a whole bunch!
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Absolutely gorgeous! That is exactly why i wanted this plant so bad, as well as other VAR's of this plant, because they are just soo beautiful
And the flower just ad's to their beauty. Super jealous of your collection of them!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Lophophora flowers vary from white to deep pink Onzuka according to species. L. williamsii is the most commonly grown having pink flowers, which is what you probably have:-
lophophora's.jpg
lophophora's.jpg (99.21 KiB) Viewed 9646 times
Plants above left to right, L. williamsii, L. frickii, L. diffusa

The species also vary in the potency of the alkaloids they contain, but as regulatory authorities in countries where they are illegal cannot tell the visual difference they ban the genus as a whole. Luckily their consumption is not a problem in the UK so they are not banned here. A strange ban really since many quite legal Trichocerei and other cacti contain just as powerful alkaloids. Really if sense prevailed authorities would simply prosecute those who misused drugs rather than people who simply grow attractive and interesting plants for a hobby.

This series of articles will fill you in on the different species:-

http://www.lophophora.info/Stalking%20t ... rt%201.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.lophophora.info/Stalking%20t ... rt%202.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.lophophora.info/Stalking%20t ... rt%203.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And one discovered since the above articles:-

http://www.cactusconservation.org/CCI/l ... ophora.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is also L. jourdaniana, but this is believed to be a hybrid that has arisen in cultivation since it has never been found again in the wild:-
Lophophora jourdaniana.jpg
Lophophora jourdaniana.jpg (99.04 KiB) Viewed 9646 times
Interesting in one of the above links the table reproduced below shows only L. williamsii has significant mescaline (15-30%) whereas all the other species only have 1.3% maximum, so why ban the whole genus for one species?

KEY TO THE SPECIES OF LOPHOPHORA
1 15–30% mescaline in total alkaloids, epidermis tough and thick .................................................Section Lophophora, L. williamsii
1 Maximum 1.3% mescaline in total alkaloids; thin, fine epidermis ...............................................................................Section Diffusae, 2
2 Seed hilum wide (almost circular), testa not nodulated but reticulated ................................................................................. L. koehresii
2 Seed hilum V–shaped, testa nodulated (outer cell walls protruding), individual testa cells clearly demarcated ......................... 3
3 Usually five (rarely eight) ribs, stem solitary in nature, miniature (rarely exceeding 25 mm in diameter) .... L. alberto-vojtechii
3 Up to 21 ribs, stem solitary or branching in nature .............................................................................................................................................. 4
4 Flowers dirty white with touch of yellow (rarely pinkish); fruits white to dark pink, usually pale pink; occurring in
Queretaro, Mexico .............................................................................................................................................................................................L. diffusa
4 Flowers usually light pink to dark purple-pink, also white; fruits pink to dark purple-pink (when flower is white the fruit is
always dark purple-pink); Coahuila, Mexico .................................................................................................................................................L. fricii
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Yes i have a Williamsii, but i want a decipiens and a fricii and diffusae as well, but that will prob take a while to find those
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

"Yes I have a Williamsii, but I want a decipiens and a fricii and diffusae as well, but that will prob take a while to find those."

Depends where you live, or if it is legal in your country to posses them, or if you are prepared to grow them from seed?

I obtained virtually all species easily in the UK, only L. alberto-vojtechii having to be obtained from another EU country.

If you are in the UK Nick Gash often lists many seedling plants on the BCSS Web Site for sale cheaply. This was a couple of his past ones for Lophophora's and is where I obtained some of mine:-

http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewtopic ... ra#p228579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewtopic ... ra#p204329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He seems to grow loads of cactus seedlings in polytunnels with great success and has previously offered Ariocarpus, Sulcorebutia's etc young plants very cheaply.
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

What's going on with the one in the back of the second picture you posted, is it monstrose or just lumpy?
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Looks like the main head went blind so it grew a new one on top, one of my l.williamsii has done that too.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

All looks great.. I'm just lurking looking at the pictures in a jealous way :D