Crested golden rat tail soft rot

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
BobbyZ

Crested golden rat tail soft rot

Post by BobbyZ »

I purchased this specien of Hidewintewria auriospina crestae around a month ago. About two weeks ago I noticed one of the folds turning brown and it became increasingly soft. I excised one fold that had the soft tissue and it was brownish like soft rot. Will it survive Picture before surgery. Bobby Z
M.B

Re: Crested golden rat tail soft rot

Post by M.B »

If the rot was just on the outter fold it should survive. You will have to try and figure out what caused the rot (too much water, improper soil, disease...). If it were mine, since it is a small plant, I would remove it from the pot and wash away all the soil to expose all the roots. If the roots and base of the plant have no damage, repot in good soil and wait. This is assuming you have already cut away the rotting folds.
BobbyZ

Re: Surgical removal of crested golden rat tail soft rot

Post by BobbyZ »

I did a major surgery. I removed the entire center fold if which only half was rotten. The other two adjacent folds had lime green solid flesh. The soil was dry. The soil was a blend of store bought cactus soil amended with ~ 25% vermiculite and 25% small pebbles < 1 cm diameter. I had no access to sand or pumice, and this mixture drains well. I had a feeling it was not the healthiest when purchased. I will see if the surgery has been successful. Bobby Z