New purchases part2

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Micaela

New purchases part2

Post by Micaela »

I should stop buying plants......I have a bug in my mind :laughing6: But above all I should stop buying plants without any tag :?

Canon 018_resize.jpg
Canon 018_resize.jpg (189.05 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Canon 019_resize.jpg
Canon 019_resize.jpg (194.12 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Canon 020_resize.jpg
Canon 020_resize.jpg (187.45 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Canon 024_resize.jpg
Canon 024_resize.jpg (187.62 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Canon 025_resize.jpg
Canon 025_resize.jpg (202.8 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Canon 026_resize.jpg
Canon 026_resize.jpg (241.09 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Canon 034_resize.jpg
Canon 034_resize.jpg (224.91 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Canon 035_resize.jpg
Canon 035_resize.jpg (232.4 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Canon 089_resize.jpg
Canon 089_resize.jpg (126.66 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Canon 093_resize.jpg
Canon 093_resize.jpg (214.45 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Are #3 and #4 the same plant maybe? Why #4 is reddish?

Canon 071_resize.jpg
Canon 071_resize.jpg (138.39 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Canon 072_resize.jpg
Canon 072_resize.jpg (157.88 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Canon 014_resize.jpg
Canon 014_resize.jpg (223.28 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Canon 013_resize.jpg
Canon 013_resize.jpg (133.18 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
#6 was dehydrated, but it seems to be better now. I don't know if it has to be in full sun or partial shade until it is completely safe.

a small Tephrocactus articulatus var. papyracanthus??
a small Tephrocactus articulatus var. papyracanthus??
Canon 016_resize.jpg (170.66 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Canon 015_resize.jpg
Canon 015_resize.jpg (97.64 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Thank you for the patience :roll:
-Micci
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Pilif

Re: New purchases part2

Post by Pilif »

1) A cleistocactus?
2) Oreocereus/Pilosocereus
3) monstrose cereus
4) same species, yes
5) Mammillaria elongata
6) a Cumulopuntia that has somewhat etiolated in the past? Give it full sun, they're tough.
7) yes
Filip
Micaela

Post by Micaela »

Thank you Pilif :)

#1 cleistocactus strausii?
#2 oreocereus celsianus?
#3 cereus peruvianus f. monstruosa?
#4 as #3
#6 cumulopuntia pentlandi? yes it has been etiolated, I'm sure about it and it's not the only plant sadly..not my fault tough, I only started to care all the plants in my garden 1 month ago.
-Micci
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

That's a nice color phase of Mammillaria elongata. It's also etoliated, you'll get more color on the spines in better light. Still prettier than the yellow-spined type I've got, though.

Many sources describe them as 6 inches tall, but they can get bigger with age; twice that size at least. Probably most don't live that long, since they rot easily. Extremely easy to grow cuttings, so you can create spares without difficulty - if you have any space left. :)
Spence :mrgreen:
Micaela

Post by Micaela »

Etoliated? Good to know, I've just purchased it so I know where I haven't to buy plants anymore. I'll give it full sun then..if the sun would be so nice to arise two days at a stretch. Once Italy was the land of the sun :roll:
I have a mammillaria elongata with problems, I posted it on Sick Cacti forum click here .. maybe should I cut it, I'll give it some days again, then I'll have to decide what to do.
Thank you greenknight :D
-Micci
Bince

Post by Bince »

Sorry, I don't see anything wrong with your M. elongata. It looks healthy, just get all your new plants into proper soil if you have not done so yet. Introduce them to the outside world slowly and enjoy.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

the Mammillaria elongata looks maybe a brighter color of green, but it's not really etiolated. It looks like it was just grown sorta softly. And might have been kept at a nursery out of real good light for a little while. I would acclimate it to light, and also the nursery didn't do anything wrong with your Mammillaria. BTW don't put your Mamm in full sun, adjust it to full sun first... let it acclimate a little bit at a time.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Micaela

Post by Micaela »

Bince wrote:Sorry, I don't see anything wrong with your M. elongata. It looks healthy, just get all your new plants into proper soil if you have not done so yet. Introduce them to the outside world slowly and enjoy.
Hi Bince :) I have given the proper soil 2 days ago, I'll wait for about one week then I'll water it. Thank you :D
Peterthecactusguy wrote:the Mammillaria elongata looks maybe a brighter color of green, but it's not really etiolated. It looks like it was just grown sorta softly. And might have been kept at a nursery out of real good light for a little while. I would acclimate it to light, and also the nursery didn't do anything wrong with your Mammillaria. BTW don't put your Mamm in full sun, adjust it to full sun first... let it acclimate a little bit at a time.
Peter, how can I know when a cactus is etoliated? You were talking about "a brighter color of green", is that a symptom? So my Mamm. has just to be gradually placed on full sun, right? Good, I have to wait for the sun then, where I live we have 55.4°F these days and it pours down :crybaby:
Sorry for my stupid questions, I just would like to understand and learn, it's the first time I take care of the cacti :oops:
-Micci
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Hate to contradict, but Mammillaria elongata is a species I'm extremely familiar with. The spines should overlap. there shouldn't be any completely exposed green surface. Look at the photos in the gallery - see what I mean? You can barely see the green. It should be exposed to more sun gradually, I certainly agree with that - it could sunburn if moved into full sun suddenly. It's not severely etoliated, but it is etoliated.
Micaela

Post by Micaela »

I cannot enter into the merits of this "discussion for experts", I can only read what you all say and try to learn something about cacti and succulents :read2: . I have so much to learn. I just can thank you everyone to give me everyday something more to think about.
I love to learn new things, for this reason I love to stay here :love7:
Thank you all for your opinions, hints and help! :D
-Micci
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The definition of etoliated is a plant is a lighter color than normal because of growing in low light. Cacti growing in poor light also tend to grow more stretched out, with more space between the spines. Severely etoliated cacti will grow very thin shoots out of the top, completely different from the normal shape of the plant. This is nowhere near that bad.

I think we're all agreed that you should give it more sun gradually, that's the only really important point. Whether to call it "etoliated" or "just grown a little soft" is just a difference of opinion without any practical significance.
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

greenknight wrote:The definition of etoliated is a plant is a lighter color than normal because of growing in low light. Cacti growing in poor light also tend to grow more stretched out, with more space between the spines. Severely etoliated cacti will grow very thin shoots out of the top, completely different from the normal shape of the plant. This is nowhere near that bad.

I think we're all agreed that you should give it more sun gradually, that's the only really important point. Whether to call it "etoliated" or "just grown a little soft" is just a difference of opinion without any practical significance.
That's not the only symptom. In cacti colour is rarely indicative of etiolation. While they do grow slightly lighter in colour, this only really becomes apparent in near-darkness. Thin spindly, weak growth with weak spination (relative to a sun grown plant of the same species) are far more indicative and manifest themselves far sooner than a lightening of colour.

That Mamm. elongata doesn't look etiolated to me, as the spination is relatively strong still. However that plant is certainly extremely plump due to excessive watering. Seriously fat. :wink: It should be fine going out in full sun as it is now. Mamm. elongata is as tough as old nails. I have trouble growing them 'soft' I tend to keep it too dry. :P Not that I want to grow any plants soft.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

At least you spelled it correctly, Dan; "etiolated" is right, just realized I had misspelled it :oops:. I agree that it looks pretty healthy, and it's not misshapen. If you saw no signs of root rot when repotting it, it's fine.

Growing them soft is risky, since they rot easily. Commercial growers tend to use as much water and fertilizer as they can get away with, in order to get fast growth, but I wouldn't recommend that at home. Possibly that's all that we're seeing here, but I still think it's been grown in a shaded location.

I'm not an expert; I've only been growing cacti for about 45 years. I've killed plenty of them, so I can't claim to be perfect. :)
Micaela

Post by Micaela »

I have just repotted it and there's no signs of root rot. I'll water it the next week and, as you both say, will give gradually more sun :)
Just to understand and learn something more: growing a plant 'soft' it means to give a lot of water and fertilizer? If it is so, I admit that I tend to keep my cacti dry instead. I have to be careful this summer.. Maybe I should prepare a 'water schedule'.
-Micci