Orogrande Echinocereus Hybrids 2013

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
hegar

Re: Orogrande Echinocereus Hybrids 2013

Post by hegar »

Well, so far so good. The system (server) has accepted all my pictures. I do hope, that the last four will also still make it.
As you can see, there was not very much color variation. I did not see a blood red specimen, a pure white one or some others that I did post in previous years. If you are interested, you can see the two posts from 2006 on this topic on page 17, the post of 2007 on page 16, the one from 2008 on page 10, the one from 2009 on page 8, the 2010 post on page 6, the 2011 one on page 4, and last years post on page 2.
You will most likely realize, that in 2006 I could find more color variation than this year.
However, as long as I am physically able, I shall continue to take my trips to the Orogrande, New Mexico mountain range to admire the hybrid cacti. Maybe I can persuade our group leader to go a little later in the season, in order to spot flowering hybrids on plants that do have the Texas Rainbow (E. dasyacanthus) appearance. Those flowers would be larger and perhaps more showy, but there would be fewer of them.

Harald
Attachments
Red1.jpg
Red1.jpg (264.34 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
Red2.jpg
Red2.jpg (274.25 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
Red3.jpg
Red3.jpg (267.83 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
Red4.jpg
Red4.jpg (302.03 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

wow beautiful! Orange #2 is one of my favorites! :) thanks for sharing Harald. I enjoy these pictures each spring :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

Thanks Harald. Great photos. Makes me want to go back to Orgrande myself.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Thanks again Harald! Another spectacular show from Orogrande!

peterb
Zone 9
vlani

Post by vlani »

Of all the variety by some reason I'm the most stunned with the pink ones.
MJPapay

Post by MJPapay »

FABULOUS!

All your trouble visiting the cacti, then taking photos, then pushing through to share them - well, it's all GREATLY appreciated.

Inspired by your posts last year, I have seedlings of of E. coccineus from Mesa Garden seed that came from a pink-flowered parent. Hopefully one or two of the seedlings will have pinkish hues to their flowers.
hegar

Post by hegar »

A very big "thank you" to everyone who took the time to look at my Orogrande, New Mexico hybrid cacti. It is nice to know, that there are some other "cactus nuts" out there in this world and I am not the only one snapping dozens of digital images everytime I go there. I think, I have always returned home with at least 100 pictures. This yearly trip and the one I always try to attend (White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico) are definitely the highlight of the year for me. It is just so nice to be out in the open, even if the temperatures are sometimes a little uncomfortable, and to search for cacti in their natural habitat. As long as my body holds up, I will be tempted to keep going and exploring the mountains near my home.

Harald
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Hegar, you aren't the only nut that likes cacti. Include me in the group of cacti nuts. :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Harald,
I'm late to check your post, but I'd never miss your annual update on this topic. Amazing to think how the years have ticked by. Even so, the habitat photos are always so nice to see.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Great photos, Harald! Never get tired of habitat pics of cacti.
Thanks for the tour.