Astrophytum asterias pollinating

Create seed of your own
Ivan C

Astrophytum asterias pollinating

Post by Ivan C »

I have an astrophytum asterias that appears to have a bad spot on it and I may lose it. It also looks like it might flower perhaps before it dies. Is there anything I can do to get possible good seeds from it? Do I need to pollinate it? It is indoors so I'm sure that it won't get pollinated by nature. (I don't expect any bees) Will it create a viable seed pod on its own? I don't think I will have any flowers on other cacti to pollinate it with.
modern.shaman

Re: Astrophytum asterias pollinating

Post by modern.shaman »

You need to pollinate it with another cactus. Since you don't think you'll get another flower at the same time what you could do is save the pollen for when another astrophytum flowers and cross it.

You should also try to self pollinate it however they are self sterile.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I agree that you should save the pollen. Even if you had two to cross now I doubt it would develop mature fruit before the rot kills it if it is really at the point where you think it is going to die. I had a week or two last fall between finding the first sign of rot and the whole thing turning to mush.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Ivan C

Post by Ivan C »

modern.shaman wrote:You need to pollinate it with another cactus. Since you don't think you'll get another flower at the same time what you could do is save the pollen for when another astrophytum flowers and cross it.

OK. Now I have more questions. I am new at this.

1. I can pollinate it with any other cactus?
2. How do I save the pollen? Won't the pollen die when the flower dies?
3. If there are 2 or more flowers on the same plant then I can cross pollinate, correct?
4. Where is a good place to get more info?
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Ivan C wrote:I have an astrophytum asterias that appears to have a bad spot on it and I may lose it.
What is happening? Some parts get soft?
Do you have a picture?

I have a Copiapoa hypogeae that went soft at one time. I have no idea why. It just happended.
About half of the plant rotted away. But the other half survived. I did nothing to try to save it, no cutting or whatsoever. Just watched and hoped for the best. After years it is still flowering. It just looks a bit sad, with almost half gone...
Ivan C

Post by Ivan C »

Aiko wrote:What is happening? Some parts get soft?
Do you have a picture?
I decided to have a look at the spot right after I posted. It is not soft at all.
2215 Astrophytum asterias 03.03.2013.jpg
2215 Astrophytum asterias 03.03.2013.jpg (56.38 KiB) Viewed 5814 times
2258 Astrophytum asterias 03.03.2013.jpg
2258 Astrophytum asterias 03.03.2013.jpg (35.11 KiB) Viewed 5814 times
I'm hoping it will at least flower for me. The buds haven't fallen off.
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

Ivan C wrote:
modern.shaman wrote:You need to pollinate it with another cactus. Since you don't think you'll get another flower at the same time what you could do is save the pollen for when another astrophytum flowers and cross it.

OK. Now I have more questions. I am new at this.

1. I can pollinate it with any other cactus?
2. How do I save the pollen? Won't the pollen die when the flower dies?
3. If there are 2 or more flowers on the same plant then I can cross pollinate, correct?
4. Where is a good place to get more info?
I'll answer questions 1 & 3 for you.

1. You must use pollen from another Astrophytum, but not necessarily an asterias.

3. The two flowers are genetically the same and will not cross pollenate.

Steve
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Steve is correct. I just wanted to add that even if you have two different plants that are clones of each other (e.g. a pup that was separated from the mother plant and grown separately) you cannot cross them. Cross pollination is between two individuals that are genetically distinct.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
peterb

Post by peterb »

Although Astrophytum seem mostly self sterile, I have had my A. capricorne senile set seed several years in a row now with no other Astrophytum flowering at the same time, and produce true offspring. I think it might be pollen from another plant that tricks the flower into producing viable seed. Or perhaps Astrophytum capricorne is not an obligate outcrosser but other Astros are.

peterb
Zone 9
Ivan C

Post by Ivan C »

Thanks, Guys. I think I will get a better understanding once I try doing some pollinating. This is all new to me.