Adansonia digitata seeds

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
majcka

Adansonia digitata seeds

Post by majcka »

I think I could use some help here. Does any member on this forum have any experience in sowing Baobab's seeds? I have them but....

On one net page I read they're very easy to germinate. They germinate quick and germination is good or they germinate slow and germination is poor. It says.

On the other page I read it germinate hardly. They need to be soaked in warm water for a week. And water should be changed every day.

Did anybody here try to do eather way? How did the germination go?

Thank you in advance.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Ivan C

Re: Adansonia digitata seeds

Post by Ivan C »

Majcka

Sorry I know nothing about them but I like them very much and may try growing one if and when I find seeds. Here is something I came across. Maybe useful to you.
http://www.cropsforthefuture.org/our-wo ... s/manuals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
click on - ICUC. 2006. Baobab (Adansonia digitata) extension manual. ICUC, Southampton, UK. [pdf]
Ivan C

Post by Ivan C »

Here another method of staring hard seeds. I don't know if it would work here but it is interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGG2-YpGDWA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

I don't know anything about starting those from seed. I don't know what type of seeds they have. If they have thick coats you might have to use scarification, or you might have to do other extreme things to make them grow. A few types of plants for Australia require smoke from a fire to be activated. Others need to be cold, or hot.
http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantab/adansondigit.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; According to this site you need to be put into a container of hot water and then allowed to cool and soak in the water for 24hours.. so basically put some in boiling water and let it cool, and 24 hours later they are ready to be sown.

I don't know why you want to grow those. They are neat and sure you can grow them for awhile, but they tolerate no frost at all. I couldn't even grown them in Phoenix if I lived there. ;)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
majcka

Post by majcka »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:I don't know why you want to grow those. They are neat and sure you can grow them for awhile, but they tolerate no frost at all. I couldn't even grown them in Phoenix if I lived there. ;)
Well...You don't know me yet. I just want them. Because I don't know anybody to have them and I want to be something special. :D I admire them since I was little.
I intend to have them in the house over winter.
Last edited by majcka on Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

well, good luck with them, I can't wait til you have a 20 foot tall tree in about 70 years ;) they are neat trees tho so on a serious note, have some fun with them :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I have sown Chorisia insignis (Ceiba insignis) seeds a few years ago. About all of them germinated. Altough the seeds were so much bigger than any other succulent, I treated them just the same. Took not long for them to germinate at all.

I must say, these are now three years old and about 20 centimeters high, and doing very well. I don't have any problems of growing them, although i have tested a few to see if they could stand frost. They (at least as seedlings) could not. But they can take huge amounts of water, and they grow really nice tuberous roots and trunk.

I would guess the same applies to Adansonia digitata.
Ivan C

Post by Ivan C »

majcka wrote:...Did anybody here try to do eather way? How did the germination go?
The birth of a seed just starting to show today. This is one of the seeds you sent me Maja and it has just sprouted for me.

I sliced the seed with an Olfa Knife ( http://www.olfa.com/UtilityKnivesDetail.aspx?C=8&Id=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) till I just saw a very slight bit of seed flesh. I sowed it into a hot mineral soil mix and put it into a baggie. I kept the seed as warm as possible in the sun. And here it is one month to the day, it sprouted.
2769 Adansonia digitata 05.24.2013.jpg
2769 Adansonia digitata 05.24.2013.jpg (78.52 KiB) Viewed 6261 times
majcka

Post by majcka »

Ivan C wrote:
majcka wrote:...Did anybody here try to do eather way? How did the germination go?
The birth of a seed just starting to show today. This is one of the seeds you sent me Maja and it has just sprouted for me.

I sliced the seed with an Olfa Knife ( http://www.olfa.com/UtilityKnivesDetail.aspx?C=8&Id=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) till I just saw a very slight bit of seed flesh. I sowed it into a hot mineral soil mix and put it into a baggie. I kept the seed as warm as possible in the sun. And here it is one month to the day, it sprouted.
2769 Adansonia digitata 05.24.2013.jpg
I obviously sent you wrong seeds. None of mine sprouted. ](*,) :lol:
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Ivan C

Post by Ivan C »

majcka wrote:I obviously sent you wrong seeds. None of mine sprouted. ](*,) :lol:
It depends on how you look at it. I will keep you updated.

Try taking one seed out and really scrape it to just the flesh. Just a small spot. Boil up some water in the microwave. Let it cool just a little. Dunk the pot with seed and let it soak for a few minutes. Let it drain a bit and baggie it. Keep it very warm. 35°C to 40°C during the day if you can and see what happens. I think it needs lots of heat and cool at night. We actually had frost last night. But I did bring all my plants and seedling in the house.
Ivan C

Post by Ivan C »

Here is an update 5 days later
2781 Adansonia digitata 05.29.2013.jpg
2781 Adansonia digitata 05.29.2013.jpg (75.4 KiB) Viewed 6231 times
Ivan C

Post by Ivan C »

And finally a week after the first showing it has lost its seed pod.
2784 Adansonia digitata 06.01.2013.jpg
2784 Adansonia digitata 06.01.2013.jpg (61.67 KiB) Viewed 6231 times
majcka

Post by majcka »

Well Ivan. I must say you did a great job. =D>

Still no sign of life in my pots thow. ](*,) If they keep going that way I will throw them into an owen and bake them. Oh yes I will. [-(
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

majcka

Post by majcka »

So, Ivan.

Is there any updates about that Adansonia???? Is it big yet?
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Ivan C

Post by Ivan C »

It is now resting. I'm not sure if I am suppose to let the leaves drop off (dormant) but I don't like the sight of orange dying leaves so I am watering it sparingly.
IMG_0098 06.24.2013.jpg
IMG_0098 06.24.2013.jpg (36.24 KiB) Viewed 6000 times
IMG_0525 08.03.2013.jpg
IMG_0525 08.03.2013.jpg (71.51 KiB) Viewed 6000 times
IMG_1365 01.06.2014.jpg
IMG_1365 01.06.2014.jpg (23.12 KiB) Viewed 6000 times