Mammillaria bocasana - Self Fertile?

Create seed of your own
velita

Mammillaria bocasana - Self Fertile?

Post by velita »

A few months ago I got this cactus I really adore, from what I've been told and what I've found on guides, I'm positive is a bocasana.
So my question is regarding self pollination...

It's Summer here and during Spring this cute plant had 6 flowers open at the same time but I am yet to see any fruit. I even got another plant that was supposed to be a bocasana too (different flower color) but nothing happened either... :oops: I found a .pdf document on one of the forum's threads that had a list of species that told if the species were self fertile or self sterile and the regular bocasana was listed as self fertile. I even tried a soft tiny brush to move the pollen... Right now the first plant only has one or two flowers open at the same time but I can't see any pollen on them, or maybe just a couple of "drops" (one-two months ago the flowers were FULL of it).

So... Maybe it is self fertile and it's just not the moment/age? Maybe it's not and the other plant was not a bocasana?

I have no idea about their age either since I got both of them from different nurseries (the second looks slightly larger, though) and hasn't bloomed again since I got it in October I think.
Thanks in advance.

The first one:
Mammi1.jpg
Mammi1.jpg (71 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
The second one (not sure if bocasana at all, sorry forbad quality, I didn't have my camera with me at that moment):
Mammi2.jpg
Mammi2.jpg (81.48 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
Rod Smith

Re: Mammillaria bocasana - Self Fertile?

Post by Rod Smith »

M. bocasana is supposed to be self fertile but I have never had any seed pods form on my specimen. You may have to be patient or possibly get another specimen.
Cactus enthusiast on and off since boyhood. I have a modest collection of cacti & succulents.