cacti for ID

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Sir Spikesalot

cacti for ID

Post by Sir Spikesalot »

This cacti is extremely dark green and even looks black in certain light. Can anyone help with an ID. Thanks!
Attachments
Cacti1.jpg
Cacti1.jpg (196.97 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
iann

Re: cacti for ID

Post by iann »

Possibly an Eriosyce.
--ian
vlani

Post by vlani »

Hard to tell - let it form a bit, and some flowers would be great. Could be also Sulco or Lobivia
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Hard to tell what it is from the photo, but it looks as if it certainly has gone "blind" (growing point in crown has died) and so is producing offsets from the side and near the crown. Best wait until you get an offset large enough then cut it off and re-root it to get a normal plant again.
Sir Spikesalot

Post by Sir Spikesalot »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've explored your suggestions and I believe that this cactus is a Lobivia Sublimiflora. I'll wait for the flower however before I am certain. I've posted another photo to show the growth over the past month. DaveW, thanks for the extra info, it certainly seems as though it has gone blind. How long do I wait until I remove the offsets? How large is large enough?
Attachments
Cacti2077.jpg
Cacti2077.jpg (243.1 KiB) Viewed 947 times
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

When you think it's large enough! The offsets will grow quicker on the old plant than when first being rooted down, so it's simply a case of how big do you want them before taking them off? The main one on top looks large enough to root down though and the mother plant will keep sending out offsets should that one fail.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Spike - If I didn't have anything else to plant & couldn't control the urge to get something in dirt :roll: , I agree with Dave -- head is definitely large enough to remove -- dry -- & plant! :D
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Sir Spikesalot

Post by Sir Spikesalot »

Thanks! I've read various suggestions on this, but typically how long would I allow the offset to dry before planting?
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Or could just leave the lot there, in time it ought to turn into quite a nice clump and the "damage" will be hidden by offsets.