Are you ever going to have a facebook page?

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
Buckethead

Are you ever going to have a facebook page?

Post by Buckethead »

Just wondering.
daiv
Site Admin

Re: Are you ever going to have a facebook page?

Post by daiv »

I didn't have any plans for that. I never use Facebook for anything.

What would be the advantage of doing so?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
peterb

Post by peterb »

Not sure what advantage it would be for the CG forums or web presence, but I like Exotic Plant Books FB page. Everyone should go like that page!

peterb
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Thanks Peter - My wife set that one up. She use FB a lot - well compared to me anyway. I guess the idea behind Facebook pages that are not individual personal pages, is to get more exposure, hence more customers. That's why I'm not sure what advantage a CG page would be since there is no selling here and the site is easy to find.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
peterb

Post by peterb »

I think it would be great for CactiGuide to have a Facebook page. They are nearly instant to set up and the cactus and succulent community is huge and thriving on Facebook. There are great groups featuring particular genera, such as Pediocactus etc., Echinocereus, Ferocactus, Cold Hardy Cacti, and so on. A great many very knowledgeable growers and botanists and all-around stone cold experts are on Facebook who do not visit or contribute here.

I agree that CG is very easy to find, but I have also learned a great deal from my Facebook contacts in the cactus world. In particular, I have about 40 friends from Eastern Europe who do not participate here due to language issues, but who post great pictures and so on.

I think social media is definitely the wave of the present and future when it comes to web presence, visibility, etc.

peterb
Zone 9
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

I have been toying with the idea of making a cactus page(s) on Facebook. (edit) Is there any interest at all in this? if people have some let me know and I will make one.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

actually there are already a lot of those, I would suggest you look into that first

the ones with the most members are the ones about a specific genus, I started an echinocereus group last year,
the amount of people joining it is huuuuge!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

yeah I will look into it, and see what is available. :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.