C&S Journal (Sep-Oct 2012) - Congrats to peterb!

Share information on Cacti Books, Websites, Periodicals, etc.
Minime8484

C&S Journal (Sep-Oct 2012) - Congrats to peterb!

Post by Minime8484 »

Just got my Sep-Oct 2012 issue of the Cactus & Succulent Journal - with a cover photo and nice leading article by our own peterb!
Congrats Peter on a really fine article and beautiful photos! =D> =D>
peterb

Re: C&S Journal (Sep-Oct 2012) - Congrats to peterb!

Post by peterb »

Thanks, Tristan. I hope to do an informal and unscientific habitat series on "marginal taxa" like Escobaria vivipara buoflama and some of the other vivipara "varieties," all the different engelmannii "varieties," a clarification of the new names in the "coccineus" types in Arizona, maybe a look at some of the different regional forms of Echinocactus polycephalus/xeranthemoides, etc. I have a ton of habitat photos and a lot of travels behind me from the past 4 years or so. I think the odd populations that are geographically restricted are fascinating, even if they don't warrant taxonomic separation.

Our own A Dean Stock and Ian N were helpful in putting the article together, for sure. Rob R helped a lot with info also.

peterb
Zone 9
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Awesome! I haven't got the journal yet, but i look forward to it!
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Good for you! Looking forward to your article!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Tony

Post by Tony »

Sweet! I saw it on the kitchen counter when I got home from work but havent got a chance to open it yet... Gotta go! :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
peterb

Post by peterb »

also, if you would like to see more photos of the tiny Escobaria from House Rock Valley:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 28e33c5af8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and more peeblesianus and RP33:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... bc5974ff0e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

peterb
Zone 9
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

Peter, thanks for a very nice article in the CSSA journal. I agree on Escobaria missouriensis subsp. navajoensis; looks distinct to me at all stages. I'd change it to a variety instead of subspecies though. I've spent a lot more time in House Rock Valley since seeing your photos from there. Still finding some "new" things as a result.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Peter, any chance you could give those of us who don't subscribe to the journal an abstract of your article?
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi Greg- The article was partly an excuse to get some nice photos of peeblesianus and peeblesianus fickeisenii published, but mostly a focus on two populations of Escobaria, the RP33 plants near Holbrook AZ that Fritz H described as 'navajoensis' and some tiny Escobaria I found quite by accident in House Rock Valley that may or may not be what Clover called "Coryphantha marstonii." (originally from Utah, type specimen lost, Benson's neotype a juvenile vivipara by mistake, a real mess). Ha, that's basically the whole article minus pictures, and the pics are above. I highly recommend subscribing the the Journal, though. I love it.

peterb

PS- thanks Dean, and I look forward to hearing news about that amazing House Rock Valley, what a place.
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I had my journal for about a week and noticed Peter's pic right away. Sat down and read the article instantly when I got it. Really great and I like Peter's writing style. It flows well and stays interesting. Sometimes those type of articles are laborious to read.

Glad to hear that you have more planned Peterb!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
peterb

Post by peterb »

Thanks Daiv! I hope I can help keep things interesting on the cactus side. It's always easier to write for a specific publication and editor after the first time, also.

peterb
Zone 9