CSSA Journal DVDs

Share information on Cacti Books, Websites, Periodicals, etc.
peterb

CSSA Journal DVDs

Post by peterb »

I will eventually purchase all of the existing DVDs of the back issues of the Cactus and Succulent Journal from the CSSA, which contain every issue from the first one in 1928 until 1993 (so far, although I though I saw that the DVD for more recent back issues is available, but it is not listed at the CSSA online store).

The 4 DVDs listed at the CSSA store online cost a total of $160, a major investment at this point, given my finances.

Does anyone have these DVDs? How would you rate their ease of use? What sort of features do they have? Are they searchable? How high quality is the reproduction? I know I am eventually going to buy them no matter what, but I'm curious what people think who already own them.

thanks,

peterb
Zone 9
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

I have the newest one. Honestly, i haven't looked at them much yet.
They are searchable PDF files, not sure just how powerful the search is though. They split up into folders for each volume and inside those folders are the 6 individual issues. They certainly look like scans but perfectly readable. The scan quality of both text and images improves as you get closer to 1993, but again still readable/viewable. Some of the color images are a bit off, but still decent.

I just quickly checked the search feature, i entered Echinocereus and it will find every entry of that word within the current journal you have open. So you kinda need to know where to start, which could be the first or the last journal you look at.

There are other files included that may make searching easier.
peterb

Post by peterb »

One useful search might be for original publications of new species, combinations or varieties/subspecies. I often go to IPNI to find the history of a name and then would like to see the original publication. Some of our favorite plants were published in obscure, sometimes difficult to obtain old journals, or, of course, journals other than the C and S Journal. But many were originally described in the CSSA Journal.

I also might look for additional clues and hints for habitat data. I think several historic travelogs have been published over the years. I assume the DVDs come with a searchable index to that volume's issues.

peterb
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Putting the journals on DVD is one of the best things the CSSA has done of late. It was absolutely the right thing to do and forward thinking on their part.

However, I do think that it is time to take the next step and host the files on a web server and they can make them available for a subscription price - ideally included with the annual CSSA membership.

That's my opinion anyway.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Have you tried searches with Agent Ransack? It's Free (mythicsoft.com/agentransack) and it is the best search tool.

If you have Adobe (I think the full version...I have Adobe Acrobat X), you can take scanned PDFs and have Adobe index them. Once you save the result, you can search for words within the PDF just like a regular PDF document (and Agent Ransack will find the words in those).

Just an idea. I don't have the CDs so haven't tried those - but, I do searches on PDFs almost daily from multiple folders and have never had a problem.

Cheers,
Tristan