Agave Class/ Mary Irish

Share information on Cacti Books, Websites, Periodicals, etc.
Peterthecactusguy

Agave Class/ Mary Irish

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

I have been very busy and taking classes at DBG in Phoenix. Two Saturdays ago we had a guest teacher. None other then Mary Irish herself. I don't know if Daiv has her book or not but she wrote a book called Agaves and Yuccas (or something like like that).

She was a very nice lady and has a lot of knowledge.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Peter,
I sure do: http://www.exoticplantbooks.com/detail/?product_id=21

It is a great book indeed. I especially love books that list the various species info in a consistent manner under clear headings. - One for flower, one for distribution, one for synonyms, etc.

A couple "negatives" - they admittedly do not include all the synonyms of each species, but only the popular names. Likewise, it is not an exhaustive account of species, but covers only the more common/popular/unusual. Both of these are understandable as the amount of work required to list everything would far outweigh the additional copies they might sell. This book is 384 pages and covers several genera. Compare this to Gentry's book on just Agave which is 671 pages!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Daiv,
I can understand why tho. If you think about it you could write a book and spend 10 years getting all the different names together and then oh, some taxonomist does some more research and then in 5 minutes all the names get changed again :)

However having correct names is important, and linking names to the past is also somewhat important too. I will consider getting that book in the future. :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.