What pollinates with what?

Create seed of your own
fanaticactus

What pollinates with what?

Post by fanaticactus »

This question is way out of my field of experience with cacti, but it's something I've been wondering about for a while. How does one know what are possible pollen donors for another genus? I assume Nature has her own laws, but what are they? I'm guessing that any species within a genus can be crossbred with any other species from that genus. Even that assumption may be wrong. I know there's been a lot of cross breeding with Epis, Trichos, Lobivias & Echinopsis. But can, for strange examples, a Gymno pollinate an Echinocereus? Or how about a Thelocactus / Opuntia hybrid? Or a combo Mamm / Parodia? Similar to human bloodtypes, are there universal "donors" and "recipients" among cacti? I guess these question are very naive, but can anyone explain this phenonenon in layman's terms to someone who was not a science major?
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
iann

Post by iann »

Like with like. The only real guarantee is that two plants in the same species can pollinate. In the same genus, maybe, maybe not. Outside of that, crosses are rare.
--ian
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

iann wrote:Like with like. The only real guarantee is that two plants in the same species can pollinate. In the same genus, maybe, maybe not. Outside of that, crosses are rare.
OK on that, Ian, and thanks. That explanation I get clearly. But it doesn't hurt to try odd pollinations does it, or is it just frustrating and waste of time & effort?
iann

Post by iann »

Hybridisation is a whole new game. You tickle and tickle that Ariocarpus with Oak tree pollen and you get a fruit. Yay!!! Unfortunately all you did was force the Ariocarpus to self. Many people fall into that trap and you'll see quite a few "ultra-rare hybrids" about (eBay is a good place to look :)) that are nothing of the sort.
--ian
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Habitat range, bloom time/bloom type and localised pollinators are all factors. Mother nature is pretty good about keeping like plants with like plants.

For experimental purposes for the plant you wish to hybridize, find where it grows and what other plants grow near it and start from there.
iann

Post by iann »

I have a few seedlings that are almost certainly unusual hybrids, from fruit that appeared without an obvious pollinator. They have a habit of growing slowly and dying young :? That's probably a sign that they really are hybrids, but unfortunately I was hoping for self-pollination :lol:
--ian
TimN

Post by TimN »

One notable exception is Ferobergia. A cross between a Ferocactus and Leuchtenbergia. Some will say that all Feros should rightly be Leuchtenbergia. But the crosses are usually very interesting looking.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

TimN wrote:One notable exception is Ferobergia. A cross between a Ferocactus and Leuchtenbergia. Some will say that all Feros should rightly be Leuchtenbergia. But the crosses are usually very interesting looking.
That's an interesting one! Who woulda thunk it possible? If anyone runs across a photo of such a "Ferobergia", please post it.
iann

Post by iann »

TimN wrote:...Ferobergia. A cross between a Ferocactus and Leuchtenbergia. Some will say that all Feros should rightly be Leuchtenbergia.
That is one reason why they say it ;)

Ferobergia info and pictures. There are several different ones. Click the links for a few of them.
--ian
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

iann wrote:
TimN wrote:...Ferobergia. A cross between a Ferocactus and Leuchtenbergia. Some will say that all Feros should rightly be Leuchtenbergia.
That is one reason why they say it ;)

Ferobergia info and pictures. There are several different ones. Click the links for a few of them.
Thanks, Ian. Those are really some 'wild and crazy' lookin' dudes! :shock:
rcs

Post by rcs »

Here are a couple of seedlings I got growing right now. I do believe the cross was with a Fero rectispinus.Image
TimN

Post by TimN »

Nice seedlings! They do make interesting plants!
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim