(How) Can I pollinate this Aloe?

Create seed of your own
Ozgur

(How) Can I pollinate this Aloe?

Post by Ozgur »

Hello everyone,

I have some questions for you:

I love this Aloe, and I want to propagate it. I tried leaf cuttings (cut a leaf, wait until callus forms and stick it in soil) several times, with and without rooting hormones but it didn't work. Here are my questions..

1. Do you think I am doing something wrong with leaf cuttings? If yes, what's the correct way to do it?

2. Do you know whether it is self-sterile? If not, can I just blow the pollens (with a small pump or using a brush) towards the ovary(?) and wait until the seeds form?

3. Please look at the last picture. Is that an offset? If yes, can I just separate it from the mother plant and pot it in a separate container? Is it mature enough to do it or should I wait?

Thank you in advance,

Ozgur

CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

1. You'd be the Aloe hero if you got leaves to root. Unfortunately Aloes do not propagate from leaf cuttings.

2. Somebody with more Aloe expertise will confirm, but I don't think there are many self-fertile Aloes. You'd need a matching mate.

3. That's a pup. I'd wait until it's a bit bigger to remove it thou. To help promote more pups, you can up-pot it a size or 2 bigger to allow more root run. Aloes tend to be stingy with their pups if confined to a small pot. This would require a new watering regime, as the bigger the pot, the more soil there is, the longer it will take to dry out.

The pot size you currently have is good, but it dosent allow for much pup expansion.
Ozgur

Post by Ozgur »

Thank you Darryl. Some follow-up questions:

2. I wonder if I can store pollens, or the stamens/filaments in case I can find a matching mate. Do stored pollens go bad?

3. I am in Houston, TX and the climate will get very warm very soon here. Is there an optimum season to repot it or can I do it anytime?