Pitaya strain grown with hydroponics

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
Shmuel

Pitaya strain grown with hydroponics

Post by Shmuel »

Here is a video of pitaya developed and grown in Israel. Looks to me to be Hylocereus - pretty fascinating to see how they grow it on wires, almost like grapes. And hydroponically. Who would have thought to grow cactus using hydroponics??? But there it is.
http://media.themedialine.org/media/110110_pitaya.wmv

Shmuel
Amazing plants, amazing form, amazing flowers...
Amazing cacti!
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

That is quite a production they have going on there. Is that dragon fruit?
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Interesting video. Really makes me want to eat some of that.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
charlpic

Post by charlpic »

I ate a pitaya for the first time a few weeks ago. I told my girlfriend: "We'll eat that and I'll keep seeds."

First tought when I opened it was : "I got screwed buying these in paquets on the web." Then, realizing how many there was in the fruit (well, there was a lot), we started to eat... A wondurful taste, in-between watermelon and kiwi.

Well, I ate a lot... I wasn't really counting about how many were left. When I finished, there were still plenty of seeds... but... OMG what a job getting the pulp apart, getting them a rinse and everything... I do have over 200 of them but it took me hours...
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

Tumamoc, yes that is what they call dragon fruit. Funny how it made its way from the Americas to the Orient and is marketed as a Thai or Chinese food.

Charlpic, 200 fruits off your own plants? Great productivity!

Also, general rule is that when you collect your own seeds you get a zillion times more than buying a packet.

:lol: I just reallized you meant 200 seeds, not 200 fruits. :roll:

Enjoy!

Shmuel
Amazing plants, amazing form, amazing flowers...
Amazing cacti!
CTIANS

Re: Pitaya strain grown with hydroponics

Post by CTIANS »

Hi
I just check this video and it's really good.
I'm from Colombia and I'm working on a research project that introduce the hydroponic tecnology for the yellow pitahaya to avoid the periodicity of the production that is related with rainy seasons on the country.
It's there any chance to contact the people who are in charge of the crops that shows in the video?
For me and specially for the project it would be really important to know international experiencies with this tecnology.
I'll appreciate any information that you guys can send me.
Kind regards from Colombia
Regards
Cristian Soto
Avirosa

Post by Avirosa »

Interesting. I looked at one of these dragon fruits in Tescos on Saturday. I'm going to purchase one next time I'm in there, eat it, save some seeds and try growing some.
Tony
bananaman

Post by bananaman »

I sprouted a ton of dragonfruit seeds, and after thinning them out several times, i still have 30-40. I had almost a 100% germination rate.
And yes, these are Hylocereus.
Hope this helps!
-bananaman

Check out My Growlist!!!
leland

Post by leland »

What has worked for me on harvesting seeds:

Select he approximate amount of seeds you need. Squash the pulp in a wire kitchen strainer under flowing water. When you get tired of this, put some of the remaining pulp/seeds in a jar, top it, shake , and set aside for a day. Then do the wire strainer thing again and air dry the seeds on a paper towel or rag.
leland

Post by leland »

CTIANS wrote:Hi
I just check this video and it's really good.
I'm from Colombia and I'm working on a research project that introduce the hydroponic tecnology for the yellow pitahaya to avoid the periodicity of the production that is related with rainy seasons on the country.
It's there any chance to contact the people who are in charge of the crops that shows in the video?
For me and specially for the project it would be really important to know international experiencies with this tecnology.
I'll appreciate any information that you guys can send me.
Kind regards from Colombia

I`ve stumbled into some of the Israeli research online. Do a search and maybe it will lead you to the contacts.
I had vietnamese fruit once in the States and found it rather tasteless. The fruit from H. costaricensis is much better and the deep purple color really makes it a more impressive drink.

Online I found that yellow pitaya is grown comercially on a very small scale in Nicaragua but I haven`t tracked it down yet.
cactonut

Post by cactonut »

Link is down, I'd love to have seen that. I've just started doing some hydroponics so I'm very interested in the subject.