New CSSA Journal - ugly!

Share information on Cacti Books, Websites, Periodicals, etc.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

One thing I observed was that Duke B. was listed as the editor for both issues, but I thought Tim H. was taking over on these or at lest the Jan/Feb issue. Maybe it was a joint effort? :dontknow:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

My assumption, and it's only that, is that the special "Aloe" issue required more lead time, so maybe it was prepared under the old regime.

On the other hand, I can't find anything wrong (and you know I looked!) with Vol 82 #6. It's just great from cover to cover, and has none of the distracting visual glitches of some other issues.

Speaking of covers, I have to mention the cover picture. That would be an extraordinary image in any circumstances, and kudos to whomever realized that adding a frame would make it look even more 3D. That's the sort of cover that would pique my interest, and make me pick it up at a newsstand.

I hope they don't mind me adding it here...it really is a beautiful, provocative image:

-R
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

In one of those last issues (or maybe it was in the renewal email I got) there was a mention of the new editor coming on board later this year. So both those issues were under the interim editor. I think the next issue will be the new editor.

It should be interesting to see what happens as the year progresses. I'm hoping for the best.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Those are very interesting observations Robert. I don't suppose that you'd be surprised to learn that the layout was not done by the same person. On the Nov/Dec one, we hired the layout departmant at the printer to do the work. The editor had a difficult time communicating with them and the result was 6 weeks or more behind schedule.

No mystery that the Jan/Feb issue was laid out by the old editor, back to the same issues as we had for the entire year of 2010.

You'll note I said "old" editor. he is no longer in the position. We are loooking for huge improvement from the new editor and layout team.

Stay tuned.

Sorry, I missed the 2nd page of comments. After numerous complaints on the covers in his tenure, the Nov/Dec cover was selected by the publications committee of the CSSA.

Tim Harvey was not yet appointed to the post when the Aloe issue went to press.

Oh, and by the way, no one can complain about the use of that fabulous picture.
Buck Hemenway
peterb

Post by peterb »

Yes! A cover that is bound to be a classic. I still have not received my two issues, but look forward to it. Here's to many more years of amazing Journals!

peterb
Zone 9
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

Thx all for the replies.

Buck, sounds like the communication when you had the printers do the layout was difficult. Still, the results were worth the wait.

From volume 82 #6 To the Point: (new paragraph) "Although almost all shrubby Euphorbias have at least partially green stems and there is some photosynthesis occurring even in the absence of leaves." That's the end of the sentence.

-R
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Peterb,
I am surprised you don't have yours yet. I got mine about a week ago already up here in MN.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

lancer99 wrote:Thx all for the replies.

Buck, sounds like the communication when you had the printers do the layout was difficult. Still, the results were worth the wait.

-R
You are correct. Thank all that this experiment is over.
Buck Hemenway