Second Attempt at growing from seed

Create seed of your own
paul280981

Second Attempt at growing from seed

Post by paul280981 »

Hi all,

I have been reading the "sticky" threads that Daiv has been putting up on growing from seed and I'd like to run my plan past some of the more experienced seed growers here. I'll post up pics tomorrow.

I'm growing a couple of different species. Trichocereus pasacana, trichocereus terscheckii, and Suguaro.

I have some small tupperware containers that I have drilled holes in the bottom and placed shade cloth over.

I'm using sterilized cactus mix that I will sift to remove the larger chunks.

After wetting and placing the seeds i thought that if the outside temp got too hot I could use my 50% shade cloth to cover the containers, or place them on a window sill inside.

Keep the soil moist every couple of days.

Hope like hell that I can get it to work!!

It's spring at the moment so the temps are perfect. I'm more concerned about the summer where it can reach 110+. I'd have to bring them inside.

Is there anything special I should know? I really want this to work this time!!

Thanks guys.
So I bought another cactus today.... don't tell the missus!!
iann

Post by iann »

Is there anything special I should know?
Cactus seedlings like the shade and they like water. No sun and don't let them dry out for at least a month or two.

You've picked species that will come up fairly large so they are good to practice with. The Trichocereus should grow very fast during the summer if you keep them watered and fed. Carnegiea might be more tricky and certainly slower.
--ian
paul280981

Post by paul280981 »

So I should place some 50% shade cloth over the containers?

I think they need heat more than anything to begin with don't they?

The guy that I bought 2 of my T. Pasacanas off raised them from seed. He said that I needed to be careful of the sun, so the shade cloth might be an idea!!

I'm just about to start now.
paul280981

Post by paul280981 »

Just an update. I have 2 small cactus growing!! No more than 3 mm but it's a start!!
Gnostic

Post by Gnostic »

Congratulations!!! =D> growing cacti from seed in my opinion is very rewarding. Especially when you see them start looking less like green blobs and more like little adults :)
paul280981

Post by paul280981 »

It is nice isn't it? I checked a couple of days ago and there was still just the 2 little red blobs. It's been fairly cool last week but it's starting to warm up now. I keep the 50% shade cloth over the container at all times.

I'm so proud of myself!! I just hope more can pop up and survive. In 10 years I'll have a house surrounded by large pasacana's!!