Found Revised: Euphorbia grandicornis

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Barefoot_Ted

Found Revised: Euphorbia grandicornis

Post by Barefoot_Ted »

Howdy Folks

I have yet another new cactus that I got from a neighbor last year. Some of the cuttings are doing better than others.

When cut, this cactus exudes thick, white sap.

They flowered this year, too. Tiny yellow flowers (sorry no photo of the flowers).

The mother plant at my neighbors is quite large, maybe 6ft. wide by 3ft. high. It has little pods at the top that when broken open have what appear to be small seeds.

Photos below:

Above is the healthiest one.
This one is doing okay.
This is the yellowing one.

Any help greatly appreciated :lol:

I want to keep these healthy.

Best, Barefoot Ted :wink:
Last edited by Barefoot_Ted on Mon May 02, 2005 11:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

That is another Euphorbia I'm not sure which, but Desert-Tropicals is sure to have it. That particular species is very popular.

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/ ... orbia.html

Daiv
Barefoot_Ted

Euphorbia coerulescens

Post by Barefoot_Ted »

Howdy Daiv

Thank you!:oops:

I really appreciate your knowledge and help even for newbies like me!!!:lol:

I went to the web site you recommended and found this:

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/ ... scens.html
Sweet Noor
Scientific Name: Euphorbia coerulescens Haw.
Family: Euphorbiaceae

It is incredible to realize that this is NOT officially a cactus.

Best, Barefoot Ted

PS. Any ideas on the yellowing problem?
templegatejohn

Yellowing of the Plant

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi there,

The problem with the yellowing of your plant may well be that it has caught a chill over the winter months and this may rectify itself. From the photograph it does not look too bad.

Alternatively the plant may have "chlorosis" a more or less distinct lack of chlorophyll, often a sign of a deficiency in one of the nutrients, most probably iron or boron. In this case you have two options: Water the plant with a teaspoon of epsom salts (are they available in the US?) this will help to release the iron in the compost, and this contributes to the making of chlorophyll. Failing that use a little sequestred iron. This can be bought in poweder form to water Azaleas etc.

Your last option is to remove the plant (carefully with Euphorbias, they are poisonous "documented many times on the forum" particularly if you have cuts or grazes on your hands). Shake as much of the old compost off the roots as possible and plant in new compost. It is also a good idea to check the roots for mealy bugs etc. while you have it out of the pot. These can often be the cause of a sickly looking plant. They look like very small wood lice and have a white waxy coating on them. If they are noticeable use a systemic insectice. Individual ones can be dabbed with metheylated spirits and this will kill them.

Make haste slowly, your plant may well be perfectly OK.

John
templegatejohn

Euphorbia

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Barefoot Ted,

I meant to post this for you when I spoke about the yellowing on the plant, which incidentally I don't think is anything serious, as apart from that the plant looks extremely healthy.

I am almost certain your plant is Euphorbia grandicornis. Take at look at:
http://www.f-lohmueller.de/botanic/Euph ... rbia01.htm

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers,
John
Barefoot_Ted

Post by Barefoot_Ted »

Howdy John

Thanks for the input, it is greatly appreciated.
:lol:

Well, I might agree with you; however, the flowers and seed pods on this one look exactly like the photo of Euphorbia coerulescens.

If you can find a photo of the flowers and seed pods of Euphorbia grandicornis, then I would know for sure one way or the other.

Best, Barefoot Ted :lol:
templegatejohn

Euphorbia

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Barefoot Ted,

Try looking at this:

http://public.fotki.com/plumo/euphorbia ... nis_1.html

I have to admit virtually all Euphorbia flowers and fruit are basically very much the same, apart from the millii species.

Cheers
John
Barefoot_Ted

Post by Barefoot_Ted »

Howdy John

I see. I am still in the very beginnings of learning about all this, so I really appreciate your help.

Yes, I went to that site and saw that flowers and the seed pods. Those do match.

So,Euphorbia grandicornis it is!

Thanks.

Best, Barefoot Ted
templegatejohn

Euphorbia

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi BT,

No problem at all BT.

If as you say you are new to this great hobby, please, please, please be careful when handling any Euphorbia, the milky sap is very poisonous (to the extent it was used on poison darts for blowpipes). If you have any cuts or grazes on your hands be very careful and never wipe your eyes after handling them. It won't kill you but it sure makes you jump.

NB: For Bill's sake:
It was not used by the famous Ellowey pygmies. "A tribe who were only 4 foot tall and lived most of their lives in 6 foot elephant grass. They were jumping up and down all day shouting where the Ellowey."

All the best,
John :lol: