A ook into possible hybrid possibilities.

Create seed of your own
Loph

A ook into possible hybrid possibilities.

Post by Loph »

if a person wanted to look into possible speceis to breed together, minus actual experimentation, what are some key things that may lead to better chances of fertilization?

i am thinking pollen size and maybe shape are important. also plowers with long styles need long pollen tubes, something *maybe* shorter style species cannot produce. what about other stuff that may lend some clues to possible cross fertilization?

without getting into techniques on how to hybridize, that cn be another discussion, cause i feel its good to have a base on how the plants are reacting before one should choose a technique. cutting stigmas, grafting styles etc is a lot of work without any thought to how the 2 species may react.
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Loph,
with crosses I do not know tons about it. However they happen in nature. The Opuntia are esp hybridized around here. It gets complicated to me too.
Oh well.
I guess what I am trying to say is I know it happens, but I haven't a clue how or why. I suppose it's mostly cause they are trying to pass on their genetic information just like anything else.

As to all the details I know next to nothing about those. I would assume most of the points you make are valid. They seem common sense to me, but then again I don't know enough to know. LoL

Interesting subject tho, I will watch it with interest.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.