Pest Page updates...

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
daiv
Site Admin

Pest Page updates...

Post by daiv »

OK, I've added a section on thrips to the pests page.

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactipests/

Also, I put a menu at the top so you can link directly to any problem with ease. For example:

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactipests/#thrips

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

nice addition
i dont get to many javlinas here but about 40 miles north there are some we got loads of feral hogs
this rain we got made them alot more active
there some were you can sell them live around here for .80 cents a pound
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

You know, that is a good point, Peter.

If you can get me a couple pictures of them munching or even just the damage, I will include them along with some pics I have of rabbit munchings on a Ferocactus.
peterb

Post by peterb »

here's a Javelina eating a Cylindropuntia stem in the Chisos Basin, Big Bend National Park:

Not daunted by the spines at all.

peterb
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Awesome!
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Daiv, Tomorrow if it isnt raining I will get a pic of some of the damage.

Like I Said I know a lot of us dont have to worry about them, but some of us (like me) do.

Peter B.
That is a cool pic. I dont have any pics of the pigs actually eating them, however I have seen the damage they can do.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I think that people who live in those areas already know about them and so it is true that the inclusion on the pest page will not be necessary.

However, I can imagine people who were just passing through later going to the web to find out what eats cactus.
Peterthecactusguy

Daiv,
True.
I was unable to get pics today cause we have gotten around 2 inches of rain so far.
Maybe tomorrow who knows.
Christer Johansson

Post by Christer Johansson »

I'm not so clear about the mites. Some talk about at least two different mites; the one that makes web and the one that are a lot smaller and do not make any web. I always think the smaller ones are Red Spider Mites?? :dontknow:

In Sweden we talk about these two ones; the one that makes web we call Grean House Web Mites and the other one as False Web Mites (translated). One of them, the one that makes a web you can kill with "normal" poison and the other smaller one you can't? :dontknow:

Could someone clarify?? :help:
Last edited by Christer Johansson on Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Christer
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Christer,
I've been fortunate to have no first-hand encounters with mites so I don't know this answer either.
Peterthecactusguy

Out here in the desert southwest I havent seen a single mite ever. We used to get them back east and they would attack tomato plants and other veggies. I am not aware of any mites that produce webs. I too am sorta confused by mites. I suppose that in wetter climates they would attack cacti as well since they tend to like juicy plants...
iann

Post by iann »

There are many many species of spider mites, then tens times more if you include other mites. The vast majority are not plant pests, and quite a few of them are pretty good at eating the ones that are plant pests.

Most mites like moderate to high humidity. Very low desert humidity is difficult for them to deal with. Glasshouse pest spider mites are slightly unusual in that they thrive in low-ish humidity. One of their major natural "predators" is a fungus that doesn't grow well below about 60% relative humidity.

The spider mites that are cactus pests are usually called red spider mites. At some stages they are coloured red. Usually when they are being a pest on my succulents they are dull grey-green with two noticeable dark spots on their backs. They are also called two-spotted spider mites. I have also noticed at times dull orange-red spider mites feeding on my cacti, but these never seem to become a serious pest. I don't know whether these are actually different species and even amongst mite experts, there is disagreement. Bright scarlet red mites, usually moving about constantly, are predator mites. Many of them are general feeders on bits of fungus and detritus, but they're happy to take anything they come across including eggs of other mites.

All spider mites leave silk strands. These are part of their mating cycle. Usually they are only noticeable when there is a population explosion and the individual strands build up to a matted web.

Spider mites are very picky about what they feed on and it isn't always the obvious juicy cactus. There are several species of mesemb that are infested every year, but most are never touched. At least one tiny mite, not a spider mite, has been identified as a significant pest on Rebutias in the UK. Soft skins seem to be preferred.
--ian
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

Here is a link to information on spider mites. They are a huge pest problem in California for both commercial agriculture and the large greenhouse operations dedicated to flowers (roses, orchids, ect)in this immediate area. Not to mention, a constant home gardening issue. One important note is the jump in mite populations after treatment of other pests. Something that we hobby greenhouse growers often overlook.

Cheers ... GeneS
Look at the Quick Tip button to the right of the article title for some id help.