Swansong Orostachys

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
hablu

Swansong Orostachys

Post by hablu »

It is beautiful before dying.
Harry

grrr. |I did make a cutting, but that one is flowering too :cry: :evil:
nachtkrabb

Re: Swansong Orostachys

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hallo Harry,

as I have just bought an Orostachys, I searched for the name here in the forum and found your thread. :D
In Schlienz, Germany, was a celebration of the 150th birthday of A.Berger, i.e. at his (very small) birth-town. We had a cactus & succulent market with private and professional vendors.
I joined with own plants as well as with plants from Uhlig, an in Germany well-known nursery. As for the very first time I could lay my hands on an Orostachys, I did. Unfortunately, the main plant and some (!) of the pups will flower. I do hope, the rest will survive. I hadn't known they will die...

Do you have some O. again in the meantime? 8-[
Do you know by experience if it is possible to grow a new plant from an Orostachys-leaf?

Have a good time, longing to hear from you. 8)
Nachtkrabb
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

nachtkrabb wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:06 pm
Do you know by experience if it is possible to grow a new plant from an Orostachys-leaf?
Hmm, there was another thread about this here before, and I remember trying it, but failed. Not sure if it's just the circumstances though, but as my Orostachys keeps producing massive amounts of pups, I didn't bother trying again.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Thanks, Jangaudi. What a pity that didn't work with Orostachys-leaf-cutlings.

With good luck I have four, today very small pups. Let's see, how I get them through the winter: They just know the nursery's glasshouse, so I intend to leave them in the unheated stairwell this time. Next spring, I hope to plant them out into the garden or the yard.

If you have a "massive amounts of pups": Would you like to send some of them to me? :oops: 8-[ From Belgium to Germany should be no problem.
Is there a plant you would like to have, that I might be able to send to you in exchange? (I have e.g. Selenicereus donkelaari- & grandiflorus-cutlings, if you are interested.)
If so, please send me a pm and please be patient with me. I have not the energy to check my mails here each & every day.

Have a good time
Nachtkrabb
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

nachtkrabb wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:14 pm With good luck I have four, today very small pups. Let's see, how I get them through the winter: They just know the nursery's glasshouse, so I intend to leave them in the unheated stairwell this time. Next spring, I hope to plant them out into the garden or the yard.

If you have a "massive amounts of pups": Would you like to send some of them to me? :oops: 8-[ From Belgium to Germany should be no problem.
Is there a plant you would like to have, that I might be able to send to you in exchange? (I have e.g. Selenicereus donkelaari- & grandiflorus-cutlings, if you are interested.)
Hmmm, well they are Orostachys spinosa pups, and as they can handle -30 °C it's basically the only plant I leave in the unheated greenhouse during the winter, they can handle. But I think they should be kept dry all winter, as they grow on the Mongolian plateau. Sure I can send some pups, I'll pm.
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

This is what just 2 plants produced last year, and they've got new ones coming up :D
IMG20210831230419.jpg
IMG20210831230419.jpg (286.09 KiB) Viewed 2055 times
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

WOW! I really am impressed. You've got a great nursery.
Looking forward to your pm.
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.