The Great Cacti: Ethnobotany and Biogeography

Share information on Cacti Books, Websites, Periodicals, etc.
tumamoc

The Great Cacti: Ethnobotany and Biogeography

Post by tumamoc »

Hey all, I recommend this book to anybody interested in columnar cacti-- The Great Cacti: Ethnobotany and Biogeography by David Yetman, 2007 Univ. of Arizona Press. Yetman does a nice job with this one. It's well-written, providing useful descriptions of the various genera, distribution maps, and many, many pictures of these giants in habitat. There are also numerous images of fruits and flowers. And, as the title suggests, Yetman includes the ethnographic uses of these plants and, in addition to the scientific nomenclature, provides the names of cacti in the local vernacular.
Loph

Post by Loph »

this has been on my lis for a year or so, and i never seem to follow through with ordering it. You really like it? if so i will order this week as its one of those things you just need to find a reason, any reason, and its done hehe.
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
TimN

Post by TimN »

Mr. Yetman spoke about this book at one of our club meetings last year. Awesome stuff, very interesting topic.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

This book has tons of pictures of plants in habitat. I'm actually surprised that more folks around here don't have a copy.
cruaux

Post by cruaux »

I regularly record a television program that Dr Yetman presents, it is called "The Desert Speaks".

I get it via the HD-Theater channel, which is part of the Discovery network. If it is available to you, I definitely recommend it. I would like to see more on the cacti species that he encounters, but of course, that's just my bias. The show often talks about the microenvironments, geology and hydrology of the desert environment and how it impacts on the plants, animals and people that live there.
MJPapay

Post by MJPapay »

A nice book with some amazing photos of truly giant cacti specimens. Inspiring.

Do not be discouraged, however, about Trichocereus (Echinopsis) atacamensis pasacana having an innate inability to grow in humid or wet climates. I have one grown five years out of doors with no protection whatsoever that is now 28-inches tall and going strong. Another is 2/3 that size because it was held back in its pot whilst awating the result of its companion. All this here in the Raleigh area where our our average yearly rainfall is around 36-inches plus, with an average of a little more than 3-inches per month.