Fastest Growing Cactus?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
nachtkrabb

Re: Fastest Growing Cactus?

Post by nachtkrabb »

Don't forget Selenicereus: S. donkelaari & S. grandiflora are growing like weeds at my place. (Normal, European living room conditons.)
But S. coniflorus beats them by far.

A Cereus repandus has doubled from 54cm to 104cm in less than 5.5years. Compared to the Selenicereus this is real slow.

Does that help?
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

It depends a LOT on your climate and if in the ground or not.
I've had Cereus peruvianus flower in 2 years from seed when it was planted in ground after a few months. It grew massive around 6 feet within 2 years. Very sunny location with mulch and in the ground in south florida. I planted around 20 seedlings 2 took off and flowered... the rest grew but maybe only 3 feet in the 2 years.

I'm sure that various tropical cacti if given the soil and space with acquitted water, sun and feedings will become weeds quickly.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Oh gosh, LateBloomer, you do have the right conditions... Although I am happy my C.peruvianus soes *not* grow that fast, I should dearly love to see it bloom. Well, I expect I won't in cold old Germany. :-(
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

I didn't even want these cacti lol just sowed the seeds and had too many extras... I planted them at a house I worked at... the owner was happy with the flower but due to old age the spines were an issue... Her daughter ended up selling her house so they could better take care of her. It's likely taken over the back yard lol.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

I like that. Can you see the newspapers:
Hostile Invasion! Beware!
Great green aliens have taken over the backyard of an innocent old senorita.
Nobody can stop them. They try to break out and invade the whole of the city to steal water, by viciously stabbing holes into water pipes, tanks & reservoirs.
Flee while you can.
:laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:

N. :mrgreen:
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
loyall

Post by loyall »

Nachtkrabb, I probably shouldn't, but I can't resist asking about your forum name. Do you crawl up from the seashore at night(in Stuttgart?), and bite people while they sleep, before crawling back under a clump of seaweed? Oder vielleicht sind Sie eine spezialisierte Krabbe, die nachts Kakteen kultiviert. :lol: :lol: :lol:
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

loyall wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:02 pm Nachtkrabb, I probably shouldn't, but I can't resist asking about your forum name. Do you crawl up from the seashore at night(in Stuttgart?), and bite people while they sleep, before crawling back under a clump of seaweed? Oder vielleicht sind Sie eine spezialisierte Krabbe, die nachts Kakteen kultiviert. :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nachtkrabb
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
loyall

Post by loyall »

Hey Jerry. Many thanks, vielen Dank, for the excellent link to the background of the night crab. And Mr Nachtkrabb, congrats on a great forum name.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

loyall wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:00 pm Hey Jerry. Many thanks, vielen Dank, for the excellent link to the background of the night crab. And Mr Nachtkrabb, congrats on a great forum name.
Ha, Ha. All I did was search for the German phrase you posted, hoping to find out what it meant. Then I saw the link I posted. Fit perfectly.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hallo Loyall and Jerry,
yes of course: you have found me out! :oops:
The story behind the name: Years ago I had a small parrot by the name of Nachtkrabb. He loved to babble for a while when the lights were turned out for the night. We loved each other dearly. When he died after many happy years, I realised that he was my alter ego. So my forum name honors my still missed companion.
The bird was not interested in my cacti, but I had started on cacti before Nachtkrabb came into my life.
loyall wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:02 pm (...) Do you crawl up from the seashore at night(in Stuttgart?), and bite people while they sleep, before crawling back under a clump of seaweed? Oder vielleicht sind Sie eine spezialisierte Krabbe, die nachts Kakteen kultiviert. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:mrgreen: I like those pictures. Crawling up at night from the special Seaweed Stuttgartense & biting people! YES!!! :mrgreen:
Culturing secretly cacti by night! YES!!! :mrgreen:
This is why I grow more Selenicereus than my flat can hold, and why it grows like seaweed! YES!!! :mrgreen:
That's me -- the dangerous, seaweed-crawling, night-disturbing, cactus-growing Nachtkrabb! :mrgreen:

Besides I admit to being female. I hope you don't mind. :shock:
Nachtkrabb

...and thank you for your interest.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Nachtkrabb: This is going to look like I'm stalking you-but I'm not-I happened to be reading the picture thread C&D Plants has a few days ago and in the very early days of that thread, soon after you joined, you signed your post with your real name, and so I knew you were female then. Why would that matter anyway?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ