Pea Gravel-Only Potting Medium?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
dar8888

Pea Gravel-Only Potting Medium?

Post by dar8888 »

Hello!

I've been considering various potting mediums, and I've seen plenty of pre-made and home made mixes. My M. azureus is about the size of a softball, and I'd like to give it a bit of room to grow.

Would it be possible, with more frequent watering and occasional feeding, to plant in pea gravel only?

I live in Erie - which gets cold in winter and quite hot and humid in spring, summer, and early fall. It can often take quite a while for potting mixes to dry, even those with minimal organic material.

I'm thinking that this way I could plant in a larger pot, giving it more room to grow.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
swords

Post by swords »

I use Napa Floor Dry grit and Cherrystone chicken feed Grit. About 50/50. The Napa is expanded diatomaceous earth that soaks up water (or oil slicks in the garage!) but it retains water slightly longer than Cherrystone or pea gravel alone would so plants can get a decent drink before going bone dry again. This mix dries out in about 3 days here in humid Minnesota. Pure gravel might go dry too quickly - surely no harm in trying it though.

Using this rather inert "soil" mix I do add 1/4 strength fertilizer to all my waterings just so they are not subsisting purely on sunlight and dreams. :D