natures use

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
1deybreak

natures use

Post by 1deybreak »

Many bird species nest in Hunting Beach State Park including the Least Tern and I believe Oyster Catchers. They have a problem with people letting there dogs run in some of these areas disturbing the nests. The above 2 species are nesting in an area that looks to be among many opuntia pusilla. One are is fenced for them but these cacti are all around the fenced area. that should deter the dogs or at least make them sorry later.Image
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Too bad about the dogs. There are sections of beach in California that get closed off during bird breeding season, even to human visitors and for the most part dogs are not allowed on the beaches out in CA. Although I think this has more to do with people that don't clean up after them than anything.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
7george

Re: natures use

Post by 7george »

Cylindropuntia ganderi near Palm Springs, CA.

It shouldn't be easy to build a nest between branches of cacti or it just seems to us.
Last edited by 7george on Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
samhain

Post by samhain »

My dogs have no remorse chasing prey into cacti or Joshua trees. Stitch after stitch.
15F-110F. 14” annual rainfall. 8b. 3000’
Dodi Russell
Location: Sri Lanka, tropical climate, high humidity( no winters)

Post by Dodi Russell »

Birds take almost all of the wooly structure on my espostoa cacti for building their nests
7george wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:16 am Image

It shouldn't be easy to build a nest between branches of cacti or it just seems to us.

That seems like a perfect place for a bird.
Location: Sri Lanka, tropical climate, high humidity( no winters)