Custom Cactus Soil Mix

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Sudhira wrote:Now I am worried as I just repotted many various plants I have, with a commercial cactus mix made by Uni-gro Cactus Mix...Should I repot everything again???
I thought I would add my two cents since I have used this mix and have some of my plants growing in it.
I get it from Buck and as far as I know he puts almost everything in the nursery in it as is.
I always cut it 50/50 with either pumice or Napa #8822 and it works for me.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail ... 0006414227
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Looking through the past pages of this topic, wasn't Peter B meant to be writing up a recipe for a mineral soil mix. :wink: I'd love to see what goes into it. My idea of a mineral mix is something along the lines of just basically fish tank gravel.
Something like that anyway, maybe with some larger chunks mixed in. Would this work or am I mistaken?
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

mine looks a bit like that, yes, however it's only one third gravel.
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

How appropriate this thread has been restarted. I was asking about mineral soil last spring before repotting my collection. I'm still not entirely satisfied with some of the results I got. So I remembered that several members suggested using aquarium gravel from pet stores. I recently found something called "Flora Max" and it seems, from the info on the bag, to be ideal for cacti. It is sharp cocoa-brown gravel(as opposed to rounded/washed) and boasts "Minerologically superior to ordinary substrates: contains iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium, and dozens of other elements necessary for optimum plant nutrition and luxuriant growth." It also claims its porosity helps deliver oxygen to roots. It may be good for small batches, as it is fairly expensive (about $12 for 15 lbs.), but if it's as good as it seems to be, it may be worth it. Does this sound perfect as part of a mineral substrate?
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

CactusFanDan wrote:Looking through the past pages of this topic, wasn't Peter B meant to be writing up a recipe for a mineral soil mix. :wink: I'd love to see what goes into it. My idea of a mineral mix is something along the lines of just basically fish tank gravel.
Something like that anyway, maybe with some larger chunks mixed in. Would this work or am I mistaken?
I'll fill in for PeterB until he sees this ;)

Washed coarse sand
Pumice/perilite
Napa (ie Diatomaceus Earth)
Grit/gravel (like you might use as a top dressing)
DG (Decomposed Granite)

Use them all together, or just 1-2 parts in any amount you see fit. Doesn't make much of a difference. I like to use different sizes of each to help fill in the gaps (ie 1/4" chunks of pumice with #5 grit/gravel or DG [3-5mm] and 2-3mm Napa and hold it all together with the sand)
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

fanaticactus wrote:How appropriate this thread has been restarted. I was asking about mineral soil last spring before repotting my collection. I'm still not entirely satisfied with some of the results I got. So I remembered that several members suggested using aquarium gravel from pet stores. I recently found something called "Flora Max" and it seems, from the info on the bag, to be ideal for cacti. It is sharp cocoa-brown gravel(as opposed to rounded/washed) and boasts "Minerologically superior to ordinary substrates: contains iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium, and dozens of other elements necessary for optimum plant nutrition and luxuriant growth." It also claims its porosity helps deliver oxygen to roots. It may be good for small batches, as it is fairly expensive (about $12 for 15 lbs.), but if it's as good as it seems to be, it may be worth it. Does this sound perfect as part of a mineral substrate?
In my opinion, no. Sand, pumice etc. is MUCH cheaper and in conjunction with a good fertilizer/food regime will suit the plants just fine. Save your money for more plants 8)
dw0rk1n

Post by dw0rk1n »

CoronaCactus wrote: Washed coarse sand
Pumice/perilite
Napa (ie Diatomaceus Earth)
Grit/gravel (like you might use as a top dressing)
DG (Decomposed Granite)

Use them all together, or just 1-2 parts in any amount you see fit. Doesn't make much of a difference. I like to use different sizes of each to help fill in the gaps (ie 1/4" chunks of pumice with #5 grit/gravel or DG [3-5mm] and 2-3mm Napa and hold it all together with the sand)
I am confused once again... In your mix there is no "soil". Is that enough or there is another part that is not listed? In other words, can I mix sand, pumice, coconut coir, some stones (granite?) Diatomaceus Earth and nothing else?
ocelot

Post by ocelot »

I was thinking that if I can't get pumice in my area then I could try gravel that's used for aquarium fish. I would consider that a convenient substitute and I have of pet shops in my area that has compressed coir.
ocelot

Post by ocelot »

I recently made a mix using the formula suggested by the link in first page. Now I've been told by a friend that I should wash it because it contains sodium potassium and iodine. I've used the richgro compressed product, is this washed already or not? I can't seem to find anything about it.
iann

Post by iann »

ocelot wrote:I recently made a mix using the formula suggested by the link in first page. Now I've been told by a friend that I should wash it because it contains sodium potassium and iodine. I've used the richgro compressed product, is this washed already or not? I can't seem to find anything about it.
Taste it. Salty = not good :)
--ian
ocelot

Post by ocelot »

iann wrote:
ocelot wrote:I recently made a mix using the formula suggested by the link in first page. Now I've been told by a friend that I should wash it because it contains sodium potassium and iodine. I've used the richgro compressed product, is this washed already or not? I can't seem to find anything about it.
Taste it. Salty = not good :)
With what I now know about coir, I'll be using it on my tomatoes. May be too moisture retaining for adult cacti and succulents. I'll be washing it before hand.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Hey Daiv,

I like your soil mix recipe. Makes a lot of sense. I have a question, though.

In my area (Central Texas) every potting soil I have tried has quite a bit of bark in it. I have tried screening out the bark, but it is present in sizes from an inch or more long to perhaps 1/16", so no amount of screening will get it all out without removing many of the other ingredients with it.

Should I not worry about the bark or should I try to construct my own "potting mix", leaving bark out altogether?

I should add that I tend to follow PeterB's recommendation for a mineral mix for Southwestern US cacti, but for the others I have been using a more organic mix, i.e., with potting soil.
strongoak59

Re: Custom Cactus Soil Mix

Post by strongoak59 »

nice subject on soil mix. i can't find coir here around huntington wv so what is a good substitute? thanks
arjan

Post by arjan »

its easy to find online
nimich

Post by nimich »

An year or so ago I downloaded from cactiguide.com and saved on my computer an article (The Soil Hexalogue) by Dag Panco de Grid.
Dag Panco has devoted part of his life to study cacti soil mixes and shared his experience. The article contains 38 pages, with useful information on many aspects of the issue, and ends up with examples of various soil mixes. Sincerely, a soil mix of ~ 15 components is too much even for a perfectionist like me. In addition, some commonly used ingredients like lava, pumice Seramis are not readily available in Bulgaria or are supplied in big quantities. So, I do not closely follow Dag Panco's mixes, but I "borrow".

Daiv, I tried to find the article today on the site, but it seems not to be available anymore, or I just couldn't localize it? It was not possible to upload it here, as pdf extension is not allowed.