New Idea --- Big Picture Project - the Sequel ---

All posts relating to the CactiGuide.com Big Picture Project
CoronaCactus

New Idea --- Big Picture Project - the Sequel ---

Post by CoronaCactus »

This may be moreso a companion to the big picture project and the guide, but here's my idea.
(We somewhat touched on this in the past, but i'm putting a new spin on it)

I see it's got somewhat of a start here in this section, so maybe run with that. But instead of just posting the missing pics that are requested by the guide, members post up any pic of any specie of any genus. I can't see how too many pics can be a bad thing. Daiv could then browse one single section and pick and chose what pics he wants to add to the guide. Meanwhile each genus and specie slowly starts to accumilate pics and info along the way. This would also give members the chance to showcase their collections of each genus in a one shot deal. -Fun! With the amount of pics members post, this could grow pretty quickly!

Each thread would be dedicated to specific genera and the within each thread, ppl post thier specie plant pics and offer a brief description of the plant, it's growing conditions, growing climate, etc. I think it best be left to pics and info and leave the discussions out (or have a 2nd thread like we do for the pic contests for discussions)

For example.

Thread title: The genus Echinocereus
Post: Here is a photo of my E. triglochidiatus, grown in the ground, in full sun, in zone 10.
[img of plant]

Here is a photo of my E. nivosus, grown in a plastic pot, in a greenhouse under 30% summer shade (no shade in winter) in zone 10.
[img of plant]

etc, etc, etc...
John C

Post by John C »

I like that idea! 8)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
Tony

Post by Tony »

Good idea, having multiple images of a given species showing differences in their age, spine variations and in different growing conditions could help alot, particularly with say a young ferocactus or an echinocereus that might take 6 years to bloom. :wink:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
globetrottersara

Post by globetrottersara »

Very very interesting! I like it! :D
"Ya know, life could be a lot worse, Sara. I could be driving a minivan." - JJ (horseman)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Sounds super Darryl! I would say that people should specify if they want the pics open to be used on the main guide of the site or not.

I do crop the thumb sized pics to fit a 4:3 aspect ratio. I also consider the use of pics "irrevocable" for the most part - just because I don't have the time chase down and take down images... so I'm good either way...

Oh and I also work on new pics in batches, just because it is easier for me to do it that way. This means it might not happen right away. Please do not take personally if you open pics for use on the guide and then they don't show up there right away or after a while...

Otherwise - post away!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Ok cool!
As long as those disclaimers are mentioned, it's known.

No worries, update whenever. We know you have a life ;)