Cactus of the Month

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Thanks all, that picture is from it's prime. It is a little start that was doing great -Then it got completely covered in scale along with all my other Chollas. I blasted most off with water and then sprayed insecticide on it. The insecticide turned it all brown. I wasn't sure if it was going to make it or not, but over the last year it put out new segments. While it is quite different than in the picture, it doesn't look to bad. With the brown lower parts it looks like a miniature of a mature plant.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi all,

It's that time again. The cactus of the Month is up on the Forum and I sincerely hope you like it. It is one of the plants that has flowered really well for me this year.

Flowering this year has been very hit and miss in my location and I have yet to see flowers on any of my Lithops which is extremely unusual for this time of year. Conophytums have done slightly better and are flowering now.

I have not been able to give my plants the attention they deserve this year and have lost quite a few, which is upsetting, particularly as it is always the 'favourite' ones that succumb. It is a little upsetting but worse things happen at sea. I am trying to get the dog to look after them, but he prefers trees.

The weather has not helped being very hot and sunny in early spring, with a terrible summer and a spell of good weather around now. Soon be winding them down for the winter rest.

Take care everybody. and good growing,

John
iann

Post by iann »

I love it! The pink-flowered Turbinicarpus ... with white flowers ;)

Yellow flowering Lithops have come here, and many have gone, but not a great year perhaps not sunny enough in summer. White flower buds just starting to show.
--ian
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Great looking cactus John and the white flowers are superb.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Thanks Bill,

I can always rely on you to put up a comment that makes it all worthwhile. Take care buddy.

John
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

#-o Missed it again! I must have missed a whole bunch of new posts somehow. Don't know what I did.

Anyway John, I'm so glad you run the COTM feature! So many people benefit from it! I also still get e-mails on the Glossary and Etymology pages from people who appreciate that info as well.

Thanks for sharing with us all!
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Hello John,
Of course, I can't catch up on everything I missed those last months, but one thing is sure, I'm going to catch up on the cactus of the month :D Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Dominique
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi all,

Brr, summer has passed very quickly this year, or perhaps it's just my age. Even the dog doesn't want to go out at the moment. I can't believe I have just done the November plant of the month. I have even lost a few Lithops due to an unexpected sharp frost. As I think I said in an earlier message I have not been able to give them the attention they deserve this year.

I hope you like my choice of plant, one for the Mammillaria lovers, of which there are many, I know.

Thanks to Dominique for her kind comments. I hope you are not a Rugby fan, Dominique. I am just waiting for the World Cup Final between Englsnd and South Africa to start. Obviously I hope we win, but I am not holding my breath.

Hope you are all well, take care,

John
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

templegatejohn wrote:Hi all,

Brr, summer has passed very quickly this year, or perhaps it's just my age. Even the dog doesn't want to go out at the moment. I can't believe I have just done the November plant of the month. I have even lost a few Lithops due to an unexpected sharp frost. As I think I said in an earlier message I have not been able to give them the attention they deserve this year.

I hope you like my choice of plant, one for the Mammillaria lovers, of which there are many, I know.

Thanks to Dominique for her kind comments. I hope you are not a Rugby fan, Dominique. I am just waiting for the World Cup Final between Englsnd and South Africa to start. Obviously I hope we win, but I am not holding my breath.

Hope you are all well, take care,

John
Hello, John,

No, I'm not at all a rugby fan, I even hate this type of game. Too rough, for me. But I'm a Mammillaria fan, for sure :P So, thank you for the plant of the month !
Dominique
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Yes, summer has indeed passed again and no more flowers till spring.
We still have the beauties you post each month John to look forward too.
Great looking Mamm, love the wooly appearance.

Thanks for yet another great looking cactus.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Thanks Bill,

As I have said before it is nice to know that someone is reading the Plant of the Month.

Take care buddy, don't do anything I wouldn't do. That leaves you plenty of scope so you should be OK.

John
hob

Post by hob »

templegatejohn wrote: As I have said before it is nice to know that someone is reading the Plant of the Month.
John i'm sure lots of people read and appreciate your plant of the month posts, both cacti and succulents (i sure do) =D>
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
Tony

Post by Tony »

I do to.
Thanks John :thumbright:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

I also enjoy them. The info provided is a great resource.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Here here! And quite a lot of them now too!