Echeveria Elgans

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
positrontime

Echeveria Elgans

Post by positrontime »

I got this echeveria elgans from a friend. Unfortunately it was dropped and the top came off. It now has growths coming from the top that look like etiolation growths.

Growing in semi-hydro with just leca and 7-4-10 FloraNova

I have all the fertilizers coming that have been posted on here to get a better balance (flora micro + flora bloom + K2SO4 solution). Once they get here I’ll be switching to that

Thanks for any ideas!
Attachments
IMG_2023-6-5-211447.jpeg
IMG_2023-6-5-211447.jpeg (170.47 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
Colorado
Steve Johnson

Re: Echeveria Elgans

Post by Steve Johnson »

positrontime wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:23 am I got this echeveria elgans from a friend. Unfortunately it was dropped and the top came off. It now has growths coming from the top that look like etiolation growths.

Growing in semi-hydro with just leca and 7-4-10 FloraNova

I have all the fertilizers coming that have been posted on here to get a better balance (flora micro + flora bloom + K2SO4 solution). Once they get here I’ll be switching to that

Thanks for any ideas!
Just a heads-up -- while the Cultivation forum does apply to cacti and succulents, most of the activity here is cactus-related. If you post your thread on the Succulent Growing Help forum, you'll get more page views and responses. I'm one of the moderators, so I can move it over there for you if you'd like.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
positrontime

Post by positrontime »

Thanks Steve! Sounds good to me.
Colorado
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

positrontime wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:35 am Thanks Steve! Sounds good to me.
Done deal! I kept your thread as a shadow topic on the Cultivation forum so we don't lose track of it. By the way -- since you'll be going with the General Hydroponics fertilizers and Potassium sulfate, I have a feeling that you learned it from my "Fertilizers explained" presentation. If you didn't, go here:

viewtopic.php?t=47603

If you did, see the update I posted last night:

viewtopic.php?p=401210#p401210

Too much P in relation to N isn't good for cacti or succulents in the long run. If you follow the recipes you see in the update, the Ammonium sulfate-Potassium sulfate supplement added to the GH ferts will give your succulents a well-balanced diet of N, P, and K. A few further recommendations for you:
  • If you don't already have one, you'll need a precision scale measuring down to .01 gram for the Ammonium sulfate and Potassium sulfate powder going into your stock solution. This is the one I'm using:

https://www.homesciencetools.com/produc ... g-x-001-g/

Not that expensive, and way better than the cheapo scales we get on Amazon.
  • A Sodium molybdate supplement is important for the reasons I explained in part 2 of my presentation. A little bit goes a long way too, and you can buy it on eBay here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123892881648?h ... R7jl57GSYg

You'll see the amounts in my recipe. With that said, it calls for 1 gallon of Sodium molybdate stock solution which will probably last you into the next lifetime. If you cut it in half, that should be enough for this one.
Let me know if you have any questions.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
positrontime

Post by positrontime »

Thanks for the heads up on your fertilizer additions. Have Sodium Molybdate and TPS CalMag added to the shopping list.
Colorado
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Grow it outdoors then all talks about fertilizers will not be sufficient cause sun cares all deals.
positrontime

Post by positrontime »

Outside now and I'll update in a bit once it acclimates. Its started to get some stress coloring now that it gets some direct light.
Colorado