Propagation Ariocarpus fom seed

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
abhikjha

Re: Propagation Ariocarpus fom seed

Post by abhikjha »

Hi Frank, few questions on germination of seeds:
1. I will be using mostly grit, like small pumice, cinder, perlite and some small amount of peat mixed with worm casting as potting media and a top layer of fine sand on top. After microwaving the mix, will soak pot in rooting hormone and fungicide and spray hydrogen peroxide mixed water. I will be putting them in a closed airtight container with holes on lid for ventilation and drainage. Recently with few Arios and Obregonia seeds, using this method, germination rate was very good (still few more seeds are in germination process)

2. Plan to keep them like this for next 1 year or so in a shaded place.

3. After 1 year, will open the container gradually and expose them to mild sun for few hours and will use capillary mat (plan to use cocopeat sheets instead of a commercial mat as could not find it) to water them for next couple of years till they mature enough

Sound fine to you? Your expertise will really help me..
Tropical weather, no winters! :roll:
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Abhik,
Any name for this Japanese method you mentioned? I will try to search and read on this in details on internet.
The method is called as "Fukashi-Zukri".
You can see this word in Japanese only, no in English on the internet.
Since it is a slow growing cacti propagation know-how, you can not see in detail.
I will be using mostly grit, like small pumice, cinder, perlite and some small amount of peat mixed with worm casting as potting media and a top layer of fine sand on top.
I use different potting-mix and can not comment on your mix.
3. After 1 year, will open the container gradually and expose them to mild sun for few hours and will use capillary mat (plan to use cocopeat sheets instead of a commercial mat as could not find it) to water them for next couple of years till they mature enough

Sound fine to you?
I have no idea of your climate but you should maintain the body colour of seedlings as like attached photos.
They were propagated by Fukashi Zukuri.

Frank
Attachments
Ariocarpus seedlings
Ariocarpus seedlings
DSC_0418 - Copy.JPG (139.26 KiB) Viewed 6678 times
Obregonia seedlings
Obregonia seedlings
IMG_2180 - Copy.JPG (104.46 KiB) Viewed 6678 times
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Thanks Frank for replies. I will search for the method on internet. Those seedlings are in awesome condition.

One last question - I noticed that roots of few of the seedling are on the surface of the substrate. When is the right time usually to open the box and correctly place them in the substrate so that roots are inside the mix and not on the surface?
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'day Abhik,
I noticed that roots of few of the seedling are on the surface of the substrate. When is the right time usually to open the box and correctly place them in the substrate so that roots are inside the mix and not on the surface?
The possible cause of this problem comes from:
1. You use fine sand on top layer of mix. The fine sand is too fine.
2. It seems you do not use top dressing.

Roots will drive into mix by itself against to light.

Frank
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Thanks Frank! Yes, you are right, it was a mistake not putting small grit on top. I will take care of it in next batch.

It was a relief that they will fix themselves. Also, I found a good alternative to capillary mat - cocopeat mats.

Cheers
Abhik
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Hi Frank,

I guess once the seeds are germinated, you take out the lid and keep them in a wet box in a shaded place. Is that right?

Shouldn't they be kept as long as possible with lid closed? Also how often do you water the capillary mat?

I have kept all germinated seeds inside a plastic airtight box with drainage and ventilation holes. Once they will start getting dried up, I will use mat to bottom water them using mat. These are kept in bright indirect light in a shaded place. Do you see any challenge with this?

Cheers
Abhik
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Abhik,
I guess once the seeds are germinated, you take out the lid and keep them in a wet box in a shaded place. Is that right?
I do not take out the lid.
Shouldn't they be kept as long as possible with lid closed? Also how often do you water the capillary mat?
Yes you should keep lid on. I water when the capillary mat was dried up. It may be around every 2 months.
I have kept all germinated seeds inside a plastic airtight box with drainage and ventilation holes. Once they will start getting dried up, I will use mat to bottom water them using mat. These are kept in bright indirect light in a shaded place. Do you see any challenge with this?
My box has ventilation holes but it has no drainage holes.
Light strength should be tested at first. You can adjust light strength refer to the result.

Frank
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Thanks Frank. This really helps. However I am a bit confused, if box doesn't have drainage hole then how does soil in the box wick the water from capillary mat or it can still wick the water from mat? I mean for bottom watering, you would need the drainage holes, that's my basic understanding.
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Hi Frank, do you do any treatment with Ariocarpus seeds before sowing them such as soaking them in water, H2O2, bleach etc.? Also where do you store your seeds? Is Fridge a good place?
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Abhik,
do you do any treatment with Ariocarpus seeds before sowing them such as soaking them in water, H2O2, bleach etc.? Also where do you store your seeds? Is Fridge a good place?
I just wash seeds by running water after harvesting. I do not do any before sowing.

I store seeds in a Fridge.

Frank
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Thanks Frank! I ordered a ton of Ariocarpus seeds from different vendors across the world and I am gonna follow your method as much as possible. Hopefully I get a fraction of the beauties you have in couple of years! 😊
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Hi Frank, I sowed some Ariocarpus seeds and got very good germination, so much so it looks overcrowded to me. Do you think it will be a problem in long run as I have plans to keep them in same box for 2-3 years as you do?

Second question is when you repot them after a year or so in new soil, do you again cover them in lid or keep them uncovered but in wet box?
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

I removed a pot from a wet-box in this morning. Several ariocarpus seedlings were in the pot which was 10 cm square.
Seedlings are retusus v furfuraceus cv Suguri cauliflower, sown seeds on 5th August 2014. They are almst 9 yeras old but they are quite small.
I will repot them next spring.
Attachments
A. retusus v furfuraceus cv Suguri cauliflower
A. retusus v furfuraceus cv Suguri cauliflower
IMG_3116 - Copy.JPG (157.3 KiB) Viewed 4599 times
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

I sowed seeds of Ariocarpus species in these 3 pots on 13th Auguse 2015. I have never repotted them since.
Since these plastic pots have deteriorated, I will repot seedlings next spring.
Attachments
A. fissuratus
A. fissuratus
DSC_1195 - Copy.JPG (185.65 KiB) Viewed 4550 times
A. fissuratus
A. fissuratus
DSC_1197 - Copy.JPG (175.55 KiB) Viewed 4550 times
A. kotschoubeyanus v elephantideus
A. kotschoubeyanus v elephantideus
DSC_1199 - Copy.JPG (176.52 KiB) Viewed 4550 times
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

Seedlings in 3 pots are Ariocarpus bravoanus, sown seeds on 17th July 2014. Seedlings of bravoanus grow slowly.
They were repotted once into 10 cm square pots. I kept them under weak sunlight and forced to etiolate slightly.
I will give them a normal sunlight strength and will repot in September.
Attachments
A. bravoanus
A. bravoanus
DSC_1201 - Copy.JPG (177.46 KiB) Viewed 4498 times
A. bravoanus
A. bravoanus
DSC_1203 - Copy.JPG (157.71 KiB) Viewed 4498 times
A. bravoanus
A. bravoanus
DSC_1206 - Copy.JPG (175.95 KiB) Viewed 4498 times